TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so whats the negatives to this 324 big bore stroker kit. i havent looked very hard but from what ive seen everyone goes to 5.0 with the 302 stroker kit, or goes to 304 with the bore kit, and i havent even seen alot of those, but the ones i have seen seem to be really happy

but has there been any negatives with it?

what mark 8 motor is the best one to buy in factory form, for overall strength? or where they similar threw out the 93-98 years block wise?

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
The block was the same from 93-98. Starting in 99 the DOHC blocks were the WAP blocks instead of the teksid blocks, and the WAP blocks are about 5 lbs lighter, and not as strong.

As for which to go with, the stroker will make more torque, the big bore will make more torque and more hp. The big bore will like to rev more wheras the stroker won't want to rev as much. If you can afford to do both, go for it, and the result would be a motor that behaves like the stock 4.6 in terms of revs and power curves, just with more power across the board.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The block was the same from 93-98. Starting in 99 the DOHC blocks were the WAP blocks instead of the teksid blocks, and the WAP blocks are about 5 lbs lighter, and not as strong.
Actually, 99-01 are a revised teksid and are the most desirable. 02+ are WAP, and strength is not a good decision factor since even the weakest block can handle over 1000hp.

If you can afford to do both, go for it, and the result would be a motor that behaves like the stock 4.6 in terms of revs and power curves, just with more power across the board.
I wouldn't say that. You still need the whole package, cams, intake, heads, and exhaust. If the displacement goes above what the other components can support, you get a motor that makes good low end and poor top end. That's exactly what happens with stock heads and a stroker kit.

The biggest negative is the cost to build it right. To run a 324cid to it's full potential, your going to need the best heads and intake you can get. If you can't afford the whole package, you'll end up wasting a lot of money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been thinking a mark VIII with a stroker kit would be the most desirable option. I've heard the nickname "torqeless wonder" thrown around when i hear about the mark VIII engine. With a stroker kit you'll have a higher torque to HP ratio curve like your 2V. If you decide to beef up the bottom end of your engine with the stroker kit you can always add a few pounds of boost with a supercharger to get the desired HP. Mark VIII engines already have fairly strong connecting rods, but i don't know much about the pistons. I've heard the 93-95 Mark VIII engines are the best of the series but i have no info to back that up.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
JoeyICU: Are you talking SOHC or DOHC and/or N/A or Boosted. I think those questions really apply when looking at that combination.

My "eventual" plans for my LSC is the 324 (big bore/stroker), P&P's "B" heads, Cobra intake, Vortech V2-SQ, and Kook's headers.

IMHO, that should be a good "bang for the buck". I know it won't be a "top dog", but it should have plenty of low end torque for street use, but still be decent on a drag strip (with slicks).

But that is just my plans. My goal is a car that can be driven to and from work day in and day out, but hang with the CTS-V's. :D

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The only negative is trying to feed 324 cubes through a SOHC head. Period.

A big bore on these engines does not increase the tendency to rev. Most modular big bores (DOHC or SOHC) keep the identical power band, but move the power up 40-60 across the band, depending on other mods. The stroker will make more torque than a 4.6 at lower RPMs; however, the big bore typically matches the stroker's added torque down low, maybe falling short by 20 ftlbs tops. But, the big bore goes on to make more power on the top end, typically 30-40 more than similar stroker. What would you rather have? 20 extra ftlbs below 3000 with a stroker over a big bore, or 40 more hp from 4500-6000 RPM from the big bore over the stroker? Seems like an easy descision to me.

Look carefully, and you will see that most modular stokers make less power at higher RPMs than the stock bore / stroke configuration did, and a good stroker might make a little bit more. The vast majority of strokers end up short to the big bore. A similar big bore will almost match the stroker down low then beat it up high.

The 324 option fixes this short coming of the stroker, allowing it to make even more torque down low than a standard stroker, while making more power up top than a normal stroker could dream of. The 3.7'' bore allows for a higher volumetric efficiency, making great use of the added cubic inches of the stroker.

If I were considering a 324, I would look into a DOHC head conversion or some sort of blower. With my N/A configuration, my Renegade heads are not allowing my big bore to make the most of what it's got. Swapping to a DOHC head, with no changes in compression or cam profiles, would yield about 80 more RWHP over my present setup.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
My "eventual" plans for my LSC is the 324 (big bore/stroker), P&P's "B" heads, Cobra intake, Vortech V2-SQ, and Kook's headers.
But that is just my plans. My goal is a car that can be driven to and from work day in and day out, but hang with the CTS-V's. :D

Just my .02. :thumbsup:
With those plans? Hang with CTS-V's? Dude, the CTS-V doesn't stand a chance...

Pete

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
With those plans? Hang with CTS-V's? Dude, the CTS-V doesn't stand a chance...

Pete
You've never seen me drive at a drag strip.... :zwall: :bawling: :rofl:

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
Mark VIII engines already have fairly strong connecting rods, but i don't know much about the pistons.
I don't know where you heard that, but the stock powdered metal 4.6L rods (be it SOHC or DOHC), except for the Manley rods offered in the '03+ Cobra, are very weak pieces.

As it has already been said, this all really depends on what heads you're planning on running, and whether or not you're going to go with forced induction. I'm very happy with my decision to run the stroker rotating assembly in my DOHC, but I've also done a few things to aid in filling the cylinders (twin-screw SC, cams, etc.).

-Rod

·
Registered
64 Posts
I heard the mark rods were stronger than stock 2v rods in his current engine, so I estimate 4 or 5 lbs of boost wouldn't be out of the question. Obviously if is has bigger intentions (like 425+HP) better rods should be on the shopping list. I just think a 4.6 DOHC stroker forcing a few pounds of boost would definately scratch his itch.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
If I was to ever consider a stroker, the 324CI would be the only way I would do it. That said, it really depends on what you want. If you do it N/A, you should really go 4V or at the very least ported 2V heads. If you are looking at FI, 2V will serve you well.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
I heard the mark rods were stronger than stock 2v rods in his current engine, so I estimate 4 or 5 lbs of boost wouldn't be out of the question. Obviously if is has bigger intentions (like 425+HP) better rods should be on the shopping list. I just think a 4.6 DOHC stroker forcing a few pounds of boost would definately scratch his itch.
The Mark 8 rods are exactly the same as the 2V rods. All Ford modular engines except the '03+ Cobra (and the GT500 and Ford GT) came with powdered-metal, cracked-cap rods from the factory. I wouldn't run much more than 400 fwhp with them, and you would replace them anyway when running a 3.75" stroke crank (length).

5 psi on a 5.0L stroker DOHC is good for 12's. ;)

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
Also, for a stroker rotating assembly, I highly recommend the setup that Livernois offers.

-Rod

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
The Mark 8 rods are exactly the same as the 2V rods.

-Rod
Horse****.
Mark VIII and Cobra rods used from '93-'98 are a different rod than the 2V. In '99 Ford's bean counters determind that the large percentage of the 2V rods would handle the rpms of a stock 4V,and decided to save a bit of $$$ and swapped to the same rod on all 4.6L's-except of course the SC'd '03-up Cobras.
JL

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
Horse****.
Mark VIII and Cobra rods used from '93-'98 are a different rod than the 2V. In '99 Ford's bean counters determind that the large percentage of the 2V rods would handle the rpms of a stock 4V,and decided to save a bit of $$$ and swapped to the same rod on all 4.6L's-except of course the SC'd '03-up Cobras.
JL
Real nice.

My apologies...it was six o'clock in the morning.

So you'd run stock Mark 8 rods in a performance build then, right?

When considering the total cost involved in building up a modular engine, a nice set of Manley H-beams are cheap insurance. That is my entire point.

-Rod

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Real nice.

My apologies...it was six o'clock in the morning.

So you'd run stock Mark 8 rods in a performance build then, right?

When considering the total cost involved in building up a modular engine, a nice set of Manley H-beams are cheap insurance. That is my entire point.

-Rod
Rod,don't play games. You made a blanket statement.."The Mark 8 rods are exactly the same as the 2V rods."
It doesn't get any more plain than that. If you meant to say they're no better than a 2V rod for a performance app-then you needed to say so. IMO-they're perfectly fine for a N/A application-they're lighter than aftermarket rods by a substantial amount, and will handle 7K rpms regularly without failure. For a power adder,no I wouldn't.
JL

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
JL,

I made a mistake, I apologized for making said mistake, and I'm "playing games"? I don't know what I've done to bother you so much, but you're really coming across as pretty rude.

I've stated my point, and I'm out. The thread starter hasn't even replied to the thread anyway.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
So whats the NEW verdict on the whole rod angle talked about before?

I was going to build a 324 but ended up going 304. When I did my build there was a lot of talk about the rod angle on the stroker. Well, some time has passed, and there is a lot of strokers out there that seem to be holding up very well.

So now leaping two years forward from when I did my build.... I'm about to endeavor a new level of power which will require Billet rods. I'm back to wanting a 324 again.

BIGPETE... You said that the 324 is pretty useless on a SOHC... BUT with power added its another story.... right?

Trying to get an insight from the true knowledge gurus on your NEW thoughts almost two years later about 324's, or better stated, strokers.

Don't bring up cost, mods needed to make it worth while, which has more power or more torque etc etc etc. Just the specifics on the whole stroking a 4.6 concern.

Even see that great company's like MP are now doing 324's, when before they would not touch them.

To the thread starter.... This is not intended to high jack your thread... I was going to start my own, but figured this will bring some good info to your topic.

Alex

1 - 20 of 38 Posts