TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I test drove a 1993 mark 8. Had a few questions. First off I noticed that the 32v 4.6 did not have as much torque as my 16v 4.6. Honestly I did not feel much of a difference in power. Is this normal?

Also the check engine light came on for a few seconds and then went off. Is this normal. When my 94 4.6 tbird was throwing codes they stayed on.

Otherwise the car was solid. Had a slight virbation around 70-75 that would smooth out when you hit 80 or went down to 65. I suspect this is the drive shaft issue I have been reading about.

Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
BILL

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Shouldn't show up on a Mark VIII.. Not a 93 at the very least. It has the one piece drive shaft. I assure you the Mark VIII has more hp and torque than a stock T-Bird. You don't feel it as much because of the way the Mark VIII shifts. It's a luxury car. People paid good money not to feel the car do anything.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
They weigh pretty much exactly the same as a v8 bird. about 3800 curb weight.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have a '94 T'bird 4.6 V8, and my dad has a '94 Mark VIII. Even though we haven't run yet, I have driven his car quite a bit. This is what I can relate to you. My T'bird is quicker out of the hole and during the midrange to highrange ( 2,800 - 5,500 rpm ) seems to pull harder than his Mark. I have a 3.27 posi, he has a 3.07 open rear. But he has me in the upper rpm range. Mine is dead at about 5,600 rpm and he is coming to live! The DOHC engine likes high rpm's and that's where they live. In a straight up run, light to light, I would give it to the T'bird, if it's not too far. On a longer run, the Mark's got it! I also have a '92 Taurus SHO. I'd say about the same for it. But it is lighter.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
The T'bird is closer to about 3,600 lbs., and the Mark is closer to about 3,800lbs. 200 lbs doesn't make that much of a differance on the street.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
a v6 car is about 3600 lbs. a v8 car is about 3800.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Racing a Mark at the track when my car was nearly stock, I would pull him out of the hole, but he would pass me at about half track.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Frankly, I don't really notice much difference between the DOHC and SOHC, but that could be because I rarely have either over 3000 rpm. Both mine have the same wheels, tires, tranny, and 3.27 rear end - that may explain a lot...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yeah if you only drove it around town you wont notice it as much. Take your 94 bird where you can get on it and you'll notice the 'asthma wall' at 4000 rpms where the car stops pulling as hard. A mark is just coming to life at that rpm.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am just going to state my opinion , I have drove 4 different markviii's 93,94,96,and a 97 LSC. I like the car, but I just find those motor's horrifying to work on in a tbird or markviii engine bay. yes, it is a completely different story in a mustang engine compartment. and when my car just had a chip and markviii converter and the 93 markviii was stock it was a dead even driver's race. Thats my judgement, other people's opinion's will differ.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Maybe my thunderbird is slow, but I have no chance against the Mark VIII's that I've raced. Ok, so there's no maybe about it-my thunderbird is slow. :(

·
Registered
680 Posts
slap on some 4.30's and a higher stall converter, straighten out the shift points, and you'll be smil'n all day in the mark8. Of course this would help with either engine, your just making more power with the 32v, and you have a larger rpm window to make use of it.

Having said that, you can certainly make great power with either motor, one may take more coaxing than the other.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
johnaec said:
........ but that could be because I rarely have either over 3000 rpm.
c'mon man, i can understand keeping the SOHC below 3k, since power drops off earlier, but the DOHC? :D life begins at 6000 RPMS for it! hehe

·
Registered
615 Posts
Having said that, you can certainly make great power with either motor, one may take more coaxing than the other
very well said.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
im swapping a DOHC into my bird here soon. I JModded a MN guys 98 mark 8 the night before a track meet and it made a pretty big improvement in 1/4 time. It ran consistant 15.1's and a best of 14.9. The next time he came down for a meet he'd installed 4.10's and ran consistant 14.8's and the occasional 14.7. This is on a stock motor by the way. I'd call that good potential. And with 4.10's he averaged 28mpg on the ride down to Iowa. The DOHC can do that because of its wider RPM range capabilities, it makes the 4.10's a very streetable gear.

The coolest things about the mark 8 that I fell in love with though, were the programmed driver seat and tilts the steering wheel up and moves the seat back electronically when you open the door. That caught me by surprise and I was in awe. The second one is the automatic lowering around 80mph, that is pretty cool.

-Thomas

·
Registered
809 Posts
My MKVII is almost as fast as my T-bird and I have pretty much every bolt on
imaginable. Stock the MK would stomp on the little bird.

My biggest regret is that I spent all that money on the Bird and not the MK.
I still want to get a 98 MK and do another 5 speed conversion and remove
the air ride suspension. The trouble is I would take such a beating on selling
the Thunderbird.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
the injection is still SEFI but the computer is the EEC-IV and not EEC-V. Up to 95, Crown Vics/marquis/towncars were also OBD-I EEC-IV's. People forget that not all 4.6's were EEC-V.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts