TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, im just simply curious, i dont exactly have time or money for a project, but whats a good model year 351w short block for building up? i dont really know the block variances, if there were any, from year to year. -greg

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any other good years? i dont think finding a lightning block will be easy, considering i maybe see one 351 lightning every 3 - 6 months... -greg

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Ok, I did a little searching on NLOC and here are a couple quotes -

All the 351 blocks from sometime in 80's to 95 are the exact same thing. The only actualy diffrence from a roller block to a normal block is that it has two tapped holes in the lifter valley to hold the spider thingamabob to use with roller lifters.

I've heard Jeff say that a lightning type block(read above) should hold 800hp with a main girtle so long as it's not reved to the moon. I'll take his word for it.
From what I picked up from my research into the Roller ready blocks from the trucks. The bottom ends from any truck after '93-End of production were the same. Cast rods, Hyper pistons, and a boost friendly compression ratio of 8.8:1 The blocks themselves look to be very strong and if a Forged rotating assembly is installed in them and correctly balanced they can hold up to 750hp.
Also no pre 93' 351 came roller ready, and only some after that. You tell by looking at the cast number which starts with F4TE it's a roller block, which you can find above the starter.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks a lot for the info man... does anyone else know anything about pre-80s 351w blocks? i dunno, one again, im just curious.. thanks. -greg

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
The 69 351 came with a 9.2" deck height which makes parts for the buildup a little harder. The rest of the 351 street motors came with the 9.5" deck height. The 70-72 351s seem to be the strongest of the bunch save the 69. So if it were me I would look for an unmolested early 70s block and go from there. As I recall the early blocks had a higher nickel content and that with the extra webbing in the block makes it the choice for high HP setups. While these blocks are not roller blocks there are kits out there to make them a roller if that is what you are after. A little tidbit of info: A iron headed 302 comes in at about the same weight as an aluminum headed 351 :)

All the above info is from memory so if I have some info wrong someone please
correct me.

Mark

If money is not a problem then the new Dart 351 or the Ford Sportsmen blocks are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks mark... a roller block would be nice, but its not high priority.. and like i said, right now its just curiousity.. itll be sometime before i can actually start doing some of this. but who know, i might just make a hobby out of slowly building up a block in my room then someday get a car to drop it in.. lol.... while in college, itd be interesting explaining to girls i have over why there is half built motor next to my bed... and yes,im that much of car freak that i might actually do that. -greg

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Check out Ford Performance Parts. The catalog gives you details on the various blocks and what the new motorsport blocks offer. Cool lookin and droolin.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but cant you purchase brand spankin new 302/351 460, 540 and all kinds of other crazy huge ford engine blocks? Why not just go that route?

Earl

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Where can we find stuff like that Earl? I'm interested.

Hey, I AM doing a 351 up as well, probably stroking it to about 408.

What are we talking about when we refer to 'rollers'; the cam?

And if I'm rebuilding a high miler 351 from a boneyard anyways and only want the block, won't any old 351 do?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Dont hold me to it, but I swear my copy of the 03 FRPP catalog has that kinda stuff in it. The catalog is listed as being five bucks, but max from fivestar gave me one last time I ordered from him. I bet dan newman @ joe cooper would hook you up too....good people.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Earl said:
Dont hold me to it, but I swear my copy of the 03 FRPP catalog has that kinda stuff in it. The catalog is listed as being five bucks, but max from fivestar gave me one last time I ordered from him. I bet dan newman @ joe cooper would hook you up too....good people.
I'm holding you to it. It does. Some of the special 351 blocks with the smaller main bearings are sweet. I really want a 392, bad.

Have a friend at AutoZone that is building a 396 (60 over stroker). I just thought he was replacing his motor. 93 Bird. Trying to get him on the board.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts