TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which gears should I go with..........recommendations please.
z

·
Registered
627 Posts
You didn't post what you have, or what you hope from the car.

Generally, if you want a lower gear, you should go up at least two gears to make it worth the money (ie if you have 3.27, 3.55 would be a waste). Same thing for going to a higher (numerically lower) gear. Also depends on what you want to do with the car. If you are heading to the dragstrip, then 3.73 or even 4.11 may be what you want. If you are heading to the Salt Flats, then maybe 2.73 or 3.08 are what you want.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply......I've got stock 327 rearend...looking for more bottom end "grunt" for the 1/4 mile but still "streetable"..
z

·
Registered
627 Posts
Well... a 3.73 would be around a 12% lower gear, and a 4.11 would be about 20%. The 3.55 would only be about 7% and change. I'd go for anything over 10% for a noticable change. 20% if you really want to see a difference. a 4.11 should only change your rpm by about 460 rpm at what is now 2200 rpm cruise. It will come out of the hole like a bat out of hell, and you'll have to catch second in much quicker time, but it will definitely scoot.

Hope this helps some.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I would chose 3.55s they are a good all around gear ration not a highway gear like the 3.27 are and not a city gear like the 3.55 are but a good compermise. 3.73 are not much use if you are going to cruise at 85 mph.

·
Registered
222 Posts
z90sc said:
I've got stock 327 rearend...looking for more bottom end "grunt" for the 1/4 mile but still "streetable"..

3.55's would be a waste of time you could just send me the money instead cause your not gonna tell a difference...... 3.73's are the best compromise for your wants ( low end grunt )

I went to 3.73' s (from a 3.27) and felt a difference but it wasn't OH my goodness wow kinda feeling... But it was definately much more low end peppy.... I would have went with a 4.10 gear but I knew that I was going to swap a 5-speed in my car in the future and 4.10 plus the low first gear of a t-45 tranny would have just been too low for me

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm sure the engine characteristics of the SC are different from my PI motor. That being said; my car loves 80mph with the 3.73's.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
SuperCoupe?

For a 5-speed, go 3.55s.
For an AOD, go 3.73s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts