TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to Modular Performance.com's site and happened to see a pretty interesting item in the news section on their homepage. It mentioned their introducing a 358 ci big bore built on the 5.4L aluminum block at the Motive Gear Ford Motorsport Nationals in Joliet, Illinois last weekend.

Did anybody happen to see it and maybe take some pics, or talk to any one from the Modular Performance team about it? It sounds pretty awesome, considering the results from opening up the bore on the 4.6 and I was wondering if there is any information about the technical aspects out there about this engine .

Pete

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
cubes are not everything. If your going to spend that kind of money, just get a 3.7" bore with 4.6L stroke.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Would be even more difficult to tune for a street driven bird, and need an even more efficient intake, go figure....

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
BIG PETE said:
I was going to Modular Performance.com's site and happened to see a pretty interesting item in the news section on their homepage. It mentioned their introducing a 358 ci big bore built on the 5.4L aluminum block at the Motive Gear Ford Motorsport Nationals in Joliet, Illinois last weekend.

Did anybody happen to see it and maybe take some pics, or talk to any one from the Modular Performance team about it? It sounds pretty awesome, considering the results from opening up the bore on the 4.6 and I was wondering if there is any information about the technical aspects out there about this engine .

Pete
John and I talked about this setup a few weeks ago.
It's got a long stroke,but the big-bore makes the issues of valve shrouding go away.
You won't find much about the engine in specifics yet-but stay tuned-It's gonna be interesting.
JL

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GB, without a doubt, I'm sure this engine will cost a bit...especially considering they only do a big-bore setup on aluminum blocks and this one started as a 5.4 L. So, putting two and two together, do you know of any engine that's a 5.4 aluminum block, other than the one in the new GT? But, if it will propel a MN12 as well as a moderately Vortech assisted 4.6L (deep into the 12's), I think it is worth the extra money to stay NA. It will make a better sleeper by keeping blower whine away while the price may be deceiving. A shortblock with an iron block, forged pistons and rods, Cobra crank, ported heads, and a Vortech is going to cost you about $8000 to $9000 anyhow depending on a couple of variables. That may actually be equal to or slightly more than the 358 for all we know...

I was just wondering if anybody saw it, knows how it performed, has a clue about price, what times it ran, etc.

Leeland, I think with aftermarket manifolds starting to appear, the intake manifold may not be an issue.

Pete

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Hmm, looks interesting, I've been wanting to evaluate the potential of the 324 strokers using a 3.7" bore with a longer stroke on a 4.6L motor. Bore to unshroud the valves, and stroke for a bit more torque and cubes...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I resemble that remark about SHM :D where else could you buy an engine with rocks in the cylinders? Just be sure you count your fingers after shaking his hand....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts