TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this isn't a repost and everyone hasn't seen it already, 5.0 magazine did a good article on building a non-PI motor. So they did change to the PI heads, but a good article nontheless. Lotsa good tech.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
what month issue?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
ah, a new one, might have to check that out

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
SOHC or DOHC? DOHC's have been doing that NA at the wheels for quite some time now, some netting even more. If it was RWHP on a SOHC, I'd be really surprised.

Pete

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
As long as that is flywheel horsepower then it definitely isn't earth shattering news.

Were the heads ported?

Darrin

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that number is at the wheels. I don't have the article right now, I can double check that later. I guess I'm a little behind the times here. I come from the 5.0 world and was never fond of the 4.6, unless it has forced induction. Ironically I prefer my even smaller 3.8 SC to the 5.0.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The power was measured on an engine dyno.

It had LT headers and no mufflers, a F.A.S.T engine management and P&P heads from TEA as well as other things like tb, plenum, and cams.

On page 64, second paragraph they claim they started with a 97 two valve motor with 258 hp and 341ft-lb of torque. They got 401 hp and 390 ft-lb of tq from all the "bolt ons".

Then they added a vortech supercharger with a 3.33 inch pulley to get 11 psi. that got them 648 hp and 543 ft-lbs on the engine dyno.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Thats a pretty good base power number for a 97 2v don't you think? I need to read that to see what they used exactly.

Darrin

·
Registered
102 Posts
To start with on the base pull they used hooker LTs with a 3 inch collector. All else was stock. Keep in mind this is an engine dyno.

They added ported PI heads- stage 2 upgrade from 176 to 226 cfm on the intake and from 125 to 209 on the exhasut.
Next was a set of comp cams XE270AH cams with .0550 lift and 234/238 dual pattern duration at 0.050 degrees.
Also added was a PI intake, acufab plenum and TB 75mm.
Fel-pro gaskets and ARP bolts were used.

They used the factory 19lb injectors and upped the fuel presssure 20psi. If I read that correct.

·
Registered
457 Posts
hmmm, need to find this issue so i can check it out also.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
also i bet they were running absolutely no accessories like A/C pulley/power steering/water pump/alternator.....these also contribute to losses (even if the A/C isnt on, the rotational inertia factors in a loss).....but i could be wrong on how they ran it, as i havent seen that isssue

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeah, engine dyno. I completely missed that. Either way I like what they did with a Vortech on it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
also i bet they were running absolutely no accessories like A/C pulley/power steering/water pump/alternator.....these also contribute to losses (even if the A/C isnt on, the rotational inertia factors in a loss).....but i could be wrong on how they ran it, as i havent seen that isssue
they almost always dyno non-real world to get impressive number. no accessories, an optimized dyno exhaust. is their usual MO.

·
Registered
892 Posts
they almost always dyno non-real world to get impressive number. no accessories, an optimized dyno exhaust. is their usual MO.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Wonder how many will go out and do these mods, throw it in there 4000lb TBird/Cougar and then wonder why it performs like crap. "But damn, the engine comes on like a raped ape from 4000rpm." What is that with increasing fuel pressure 50% instead of putting in the correct injectors and correct fuel map in the ECM. Recipe for a meltdown! Dynos are meant for tuning not peak numbers. Peak numbers are useless in the real world. JMHO

Brad

·
Registered
158 Posts
The power was measured on an engine dyno.

It had LT headers and no mufflers, a F.A.S.T engine management and P&P heads from TEA as well as other things like tb, plenum, and cams.

On page 64, second paragraph they claim they started with a 97 two valve motor with 258 hp and 341ft-lb of torque. They got 401 hp and 390 ft-lb of tq from all the "bolt ons".

Then they added a vortech supercharger with a 3.33 inch pulley to get 11 psi. that got them 648 hp and 543 ft-lbs on the engine dyno.
to me if you add in the parasitic loss this motor they engine dynoed is right on par with what a sohc should make with those mods, if not on the lower end. P&P heads, cams, intake, fuel management system, long tubes, no noted accesories such as a/c and such, factor in an average 18% parasitic loss ur looking at a rwhp of around 330ish.

with respect tot heir vortech test, thats gonna make a tad over 500 hp with the parasitic loss factored in, that stock bottom end will never hold that or if it does its gonna grenade faster than anna nicole smiths life.

im in the process of buiding a sohc motor i got out of a wrecked 00 mustang gt convertible. heads coming from TEA, the sheet metal intake ill be finishing up hopefully by september and the custom cams my friends shop is grinding out for me, if this motor doesn't produce atleast 400 rwhp/ 400 lbs/ft im going to sell it and throw in my 700hp direct port nitrous injected ls1 motor and th400 trans i've been holding off to sell. 400 hp out of a built motor should not be even an issue, if it is, thats just pathetic imho.

Travis

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
if this motor doesn't produce atleast 400 rwhp/ 400 lbs/ft im going to sell it and throw in my 700hp direct port nitrous injected ls1 motor and th400 trans i've been holding off to sell. 400 hp out of a built motor should not be even an issue, if it is, thats just pathetic imho.

Travis
You're in for a very rude awakening...
JL

·
Registered
573 Posts
But damn, the engine comes on like a raped ape...
Now there was a visual I didn't need. ;)

Peter M

1 - 20 of 24 Posts