TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 mercury cougar 4.6

The car sat for a year before having to revive it after getting t-boned in my wife's 98 mountaineer. Before it sat I had absolutely no issues with the way it drove. Now it doesn't matter what gear it's in as soon as it hits 3000 rpms it falls flat on it's face. If I keep my foot out of it and keep under 3000 rpms it drives just fine. Also it seems to be running lean, has bad hesitation from a stop, and takes a good bit to kick down into 3rd if I do give it gas to get around someone down the back roads. Someone was telling me it could be the valve body, but i wanted to ask someone here in case someone has had the same issues I've been having and might shed some light on this unfortunate situation.

I appreciate any help that can be given and thank you for taking the time to read.

-Will

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Spark plugs and wires are where I'd start; check and see of something is living in the intake or exhaust.

Change the plugs with the engine totally cold, after sitting all night, and put penetrating oil on them before you start.

You might also look down the holes, and see if there is water in there.

If the engine rattles while it's having issues at 3k, it could have a bad fuel pump; you can check the pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Reactions: Woodman

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Seafoam and a fresh fuel filter would also be good places to start. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it won't hurt anything to run a can through the gas tank and change the fuel filter. Also, try cleaning the MAF sensor.

I don't think it's your Trans valve body. How old is the trans fluid? Check it out first.

Reactions: Woodman

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I check and regap the plugs as needed once a year and I did that right before it sat. The engine runs smooth, no rattling or vibration, just some hesitation. I have replaced the fuel filter and ran fuel system cleaner about a month ago when I replaced the brakes. I am the second owner of the car and the first owner had it maintained by the dealer up to 120k miles, which I actually still have the origional owners manual and the service check list signed by the dealership in the glove box along with the dealers business card lol . I bought the car at 128k miles and had the trans flushed at 130k. The odometer broke at 167k lol, but I am sure it's close if not right at 200k miles. I should check the maf sensor again, I haven't cleaned it since it sat. I used to clean that once or twice a year.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Nothing about what you are describing sounds like a transmission issue, so I would start with looking for vacuum leaks or chewed up wires. Rubber that sits exposed to the elements dries up and cracks, and you could have multiple vacuum leaks causing a lean condition, or a rodent could have chewed up the plug wires, or some injector wires or something. Also, as was said above, fresh gas and a new fuel filter are a good idea, especially if the tank wasn't topped off and fuel stabilizer wasn't added before parking it.

Reactions: Grog6

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check for vacuum leaks when it cools down outside. it's about 100 out right now with a heat index of 110. I just got done working outside for nearly 12 hours today, I'll pass on going outside unless I have to lolol. I didn't see any chewed up anything under the hood or under the car when I had it up in the air changing the brakes.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
+3 on the Seafoam and fresh gas. The car sat for a year, and the gas is probably even older than that if it was a part time car. It's pretty likely that will fix you up.

No need to pull the plugs once a year and re-gap. Motorcraft platinums last 60k miles, and even copper's last 30k. If you go to the trouble of pulling them, replace them.

Al

·
Registered
174 Posts
Since you said the car seems to be running lean also check your Mass Air Flow sensor. My 96 Cougar would not rev over 3K when the sensor was bad, but felt normal under 3K under light to moderate acceleration.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had to replace the fuel pressure regulator the baffle broke as well as a shift solenoid. that controles 1 and 2 three and four. it would slip out before going into third thought the transmission totally went out. I decided to do that to see if it is the solenoid first glad I did. but the fuel pressure regulator would also do that as well. I thought I had to replace the solenoid again till I swapped out that regulator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts