TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a few searches and i didn't quite find what i was looking for. I was wondering how people did the "cut a hole in the side of the 3rd cat and bang it out" was it in the bottom? or in the side? and they must have patched it back up. And the way my exhaust is set up, it's stock into the cat, and then welded to the cat is a race muffler, then 3 inch back to a "y" then 2.25 to chrome tips. So I was also wondering if i bang out the innards from the cat into the muffler and pipe, will it do much harm? or nothing? thankyou so much:zwthstpd:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
just take the cat off, and chisel the innards with a screwdriver, peice of 2x4, metal rod, etc. You don't need to cut a hole in it. What comes out will look like clumps of dirt and some intestines.

Only downside is you might have a more "hollow" sound to the exhaust. Unless your engine is running rough, passing the sniffer shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, I have that hollow sound!
It sounds horrible, it happens at low RPM, can get on my nerves, I cut the hole in the bottom, I'm going to modify my dynomax catback and hopefully that will kill that hollow sound.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i had a question, my cat back is clamped, and i can't get teh fkn screws off teh clamp, and besides that, they welded the piping onto my car so it wouldn't move, so i don't really think i can have it taken off without some welding, is there a way i can gut it, or somewhere i could rent a welder to remove all that, lemme know thanks :)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
you don't need a welder to remove a weld. all you need is a cutting tool, like a torch or sawzall. You can rent welders at almost any equipment supply store.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I added hi-flow cats with 2 1/14 down tubes and replaced my 3rd cat and resonator with a Magnaflow muffler. This is then mated to a Dyno Max cat back. The car is much more responsive and is still quiet with absolutely no droning on the hwy or at any speed. Hope to have some new numbers to post soon.

Tony

·
Registered
91 Posts
well, i was wondering how the hell to put the cat back back on then after i cut off the mufflers and piping, and my catback is clamped onto my 3rd cat at the exit, and i can't get the fkn screw to unscrew, so i'm thinking i need something like the air gun to take it off, cause that's the only way i see it coming off, and how much would a welder and air gun cost to rent? i'm thinking of just taking the tags off and having the guys try to gut my cat for me, lemme know thanks, :)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Why dont' you just take the cat off??? You wont' pass emisions anyways, so just take it off and put a straight pipe in it's place or something depending on your tastes.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I thought the 3rd cat was like another appendix our cars have... the front 2 cats do everything- wouldn't he still pass?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
It might be possible to still pass with just the front cats, not sure, I would think it depends on your emissions level for your state. We don't have testing here, so no biggy.

Hard to say though, not sure if every state has the same level, or if they are stricker in some states. I know alot of the larger cities have emissions, aka Milwaukee and Chicago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i beat the crap out of it, and the screen suprised me, so i yanked that out too. Sounds pretty much better, but yeah, it's less rich and more hollow, but i still like it. Tomah doesn't have emissions testing yet, and i doubt it will, out here in hicksville. Time to do some more mods now!:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts