TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up with that 3rd cat on our cars? atleast it looks like a 3rd one. I noticed my car has DynoMax mufflers on it but you sure can't tell it...lol Can that 3rd cat be removed without alot of crap to deal with from the car? No tree huggers on this one please. :D

·
5,650 Posts
The 3rd cat can be removed easily with no problems. It won't set off any codes in the computer and as long as the car is running properly, it will pass smog.

I would really recommend you start using search. This is the 2nd post I've read of yours that has been answered numerous times previously on this board.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Sniffer wise, and OBD-II wise it shouldn't affect it if you remove it. Visual inspection, possibly. I have to go through emissions here, and I know that when they plug in my VIN it gives them information, and it looked like they had a visual that showed 3 cats for my 97. They don't actually do visual inspections on OBD-II cars, just Pre OBD-II cars here, so if they check you might not be good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sniffer wise, and OBD-II wise it shouldn't affect it if you remove it. Visual inspection, possibly. I have to go through emissions here, and I know that when they plug in my VIN it gives them information, and it looked like they had a visual that showed 3 cats for my 97. They don't actually do visual inspections on OBD-II cars, just Pre OBD-II cars here, so if they check you might not be good.

Thanks Bangster for the info, I'm very lucky to live in a state that doesn't check cats (for now anyways). I was supprised to see 3 under there. I'm still chasing the check engine light issue with P1443 tryin to get it to go away so I'll take care of that first and then head to the exhaust shop. thanks again.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
could be worse... could have 4 like a mustang

·
Registered
474 Posts
Really? I didnt think ive seen a mustang with more than 2 gutted cats. I wonder why?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
it will not trigger a code to remove it, it will not fail a tail pipe (2 speed test) if you remove it, it will fail a visual inspection for any 89-95 thunderbird if the inspector actually reads the book that tells him how many cats there are and actually looks, in cali you'd also probably fail 96-97 if you removed it as well. Basic rule of thumb, if they look under the car you'll fail, if the could give a rats about whats under the car and only plug it in, or only shove a probe in the tailpipe you'll pass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it will not trigger a code to remove it, it will not fail a tail pipe (2 speed test) if you remove it, it will fail a visual inspection for any 89-95 thunderbird if the inspector actually reads the book that tells him how many cats there are and actually looks, in cali you'd also probably fail 96-97 if you removed it as well. Basic rule of thumb, if they look under the car you'll fail, if the could give a rats about whats under the car and only plug it in, or only shove a probe in the tailpipe you'll pass.

Hey, whats that console piece off of you have for sale? Love the 62!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, thats ridiculous. And I thought three was alot.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
imagine the problems youd have if all those got clogged... lmao thas sucks.. ill stick with 3 thanks..lol

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Nope. Proved that last year. The numbers were just the same as with 3 cats.
its not the numbers, its the visual I though cali was supposed to do through visual inspections.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Hey, whats that console piece off of you have for sale? Love the 62!!
off of a 97, its been sold, the 62 on the other hand is still for sale.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
its not the numbers, its the visual I though cali was supposed to do through visual inspections.
if its gutted it would look stock?? and yes when you remove cats as long as the motor is running goood it will pass. even when i had my 86 s10 2.8tbi it passed with amazing low numbers with no cats

·
5,650 Posts
Hardly anyone really does visuals. Mostly it's the Test Only stations that are thorough. Regular places will check under the hood and run the tail pipe test as well as hook up to the computer, and if you pass then they don't care what is (or what isn't) underneath the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts