TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading through a bunch of stuff here, and there was mention of a 3rd cat on the Tbird. Is that the 2-into1 collector thing before the resonator? If so, why?! :(

Well, it's going away when I get to the exhaust upgrade anyway. I just can't believe they'd make a cat look like that; must be really expensive to replace if one was so inclined to do that sort of thing....

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Checked out that thread. Pretty nice. I have some ideas kicking around, but I think that's good because I'm sure I won't get to the exhaust until over winter or so.

Thanks for the comments! If you or whoever is doing need measurements, etc when you're doing this, let me know and I'll be happy to get anything I can for you.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If I get rid of it will it still pass emissions in Texas?

Cuz ya know, accidents happen... Kinda like you never know when you're going to hit a speed bump and accidentally rip the entire exhaust system out and have to go to the shop for a set of duals. :diablo:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the front cats are two-way, but the 3rd cat is a 3-way. If you simply take off the 3rd cat you may have trouble passing the sniffer as your NOx emissions will go up.

I used two new 3-way cats and ditched all the stock stuff.

·
5,650 Posts
the front cats are two-way, but the 3rd cat is a 3-way. If you simply take off the 3rd cat you may have trouble passing the sniffer as your NOx emissions will go up.

I used two new 3-way cats and ditched all the stock stuff.
This is not true. All the cats are 3-way. My NOx ppms were 2 and 0 at 15 and 25 mph, respectively, with just the front 2 cats.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Yes, that's the 2-into-1 thing before the resonator. Why? Because of emissions. It takes up the slack of the first two if there is any. It's not expensive to replace at all if you don't live in California.
exactly not in cali im getting real pissed about are strick emission laws when 99% of the country doesnt even have it half as bad. can't put a decent set of headers pipes cant be this loud. have to have the 3rd stupid cat. i mean seriosuly why should we even bother look at how poluntant freakin china is it looks like fog there but all it is is smog.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If I get rid of it will it still pass emissions in Texas?

Cuz ya know, accidents happen... Kinda like you never know when you're going to hit a speed bump and accidentally rip the entire exhaust system out and have to go to the shop for a set of duals. :diablo:
Yes....Mine passed with flying colors 3 days after my 3rd cat went "mysteriously missing"......:D

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i talked to my uncle today who has owned 7 tbirds starting with a 72. and he told me that the 2 into is soley just a resinator and nothing more.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
This is not true. All the cats are 3-way. My NOx ppms were 2 and 0 at 15 and 25 mph, respectively, with just the front 2 cats.
good info, even better for the OP

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
What the hell do we know? His uncle is prolly right... :D
i hope so his bird the one he tricked out is insane he has a 91 sc and he's done everything except for nitrous and bore. but yeah he has true dual exhaust and has had it smogged in cali well since 91 when he got it.

·
5,650 Posts
i talked to my uncle today who has owned 7 tbirds starting with a 72. and he told me that the 2 into is soley just a resinator and nothing more.
Well, your uncle is right and wrong. The earlier MN12s didn't have 3 cats. As far as I know, all 94+ had 3.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Now don't go dissing uncles! They're always a good source for muddy information. Just look at Uncle Sam...... :D

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
well he does have a 91 and all the others he had where 94 and older. but ive also had buddies that have a 96 and he hs duels stright from the cats out the back and he passes smog with 2 cats

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
well he does have a 91 and all the others he had where 94 and older. but ive also had buddies that have a 96 and he hs duels stright from the cats out the back and he passes smog with 2 cats
Will it pass a sniffer test with two cats? should
Will it pass the OBD-II readiness test with two cats? yup
Will it pass a visual inspection in which the person looking has a diagram of what to expect? Not if the inspector isn't blind.

Depends on where you are and what type of testing there is, if any, and if you can do the work yourself, get someone to do it (removing federally mandated emissions equipment) or take it in with everything past the front cats missing.

Here in Tucson AZ if I had a way to get rid of the third cat, I would. 96 and newer vehicles they don't do a visual inspection on, 95 and older they do. My 97 really wants true duals.

My 89 has two cats and resonator, no third cat, like was stated already, 94+ have 3 cats (perhaps later for NA V6 non CA models).

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
it will pass smog its a problem with the visual inspection. but im in cali your in arizona so im sure they aint gonna care if that third cat is there or not

1 - 20 of 20 Posts