TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. here's the deal. After a night of racing, I started having some issues with the transmission. When I go into OD, the engagement takes a bit longer than usual. There's a slight increase in engine RPM and then a real gradual drop as the OD band engages. I'm thinking I might be losing my OD band. Any input?

Also.. when I'm coasting from OD and the computer tries to shift to 3rd, RPMs drop to idle (around 1k) and then it will try to engage briefly... then back to idle.. then try to engage, so on and so forth.

FLUID LEVEL IS CORRECT. I checked it 5 minutes before I posted this. Fluid doesn't smell burnt and the bit on the dipstick doesn't appear to have any shiney metal particles in it.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
This is going to be a little tricky to diagnose, but any way the results aren't pretty. I think you're right about the OD band, the other problem... might be the forward clutch, becuase that's what happens on a 4-3 shift, the OD band releases and the forward clutch comes on.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
There shouldnt be any difference - 3rd gear is 3rd gear. Very strange.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For even more strangeness: 1st gear, starting from manual 2nd and Reverse still require that I goose the gas a bit to get the gear to engage. Eh. Still gunna look for that tranny 'cause I'm thinkin' that replacing the OD band is not gunna be worth the work, especially when I could have a near new, sturdier transmission for probably around the same price.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if the roller OWC is fragging and starting to get caught in things... just a hunch. I guess we'll find out when you replace it.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 1, 2 and Reverse strangeness started after my j-mod. New gaskets were used and things were torqued down very carefully, in the proper order and to the proper torque, so I /doubt/ it's a cross leak. The other wierdness happened, like I said after a night at the track. Who knows... 114k, original trans, I suppose something was bound to break.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Today on the way to pick up my paycheck, ironicly enough, I have to go up a pretty steep hill. As I attempted to go up the hill, the engine revved like I was in idle, strange. Then I crested the hill and tried to accelerate down the street... revved like it was in idle again. I was gaining speed... but it was like trying to push a 3800lb boat throat the water with a 1/2" diameter impeller blade... Also.. from a stop, the car would shudder like a ***** (1st or Manual 2nd) so I'm thinking maybe my torque converter has just taken a ****?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Might learn something putting a gauge on the line pressure port, and checking the readings against the factory book. Something's slipping bigtime, and you're gonna burn it up if it keeps on. Things like the TPS, PCM, EPC solenoid, low or high ATF level, missing/damaged filter gasket could be the cause, but my money's on a rebuild in your future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts