TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low mileage 3V 4.6L from an Explorer that I may want to use in my 97 TBird. It will get PI heads and cams. My concern is what is different and the changes needed. I think the compression will be higher like with the NPI engine, front cover and chain assy. from the TBird can be swapped over. Are the motor mount bolt bosses in the same location? It does have a 6 bolt crank shaft so no problem with the flexplate. What about the head bolt thread depth, same as the TBird block? Thanks for any info.....Ken.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The block will bolt right up. I know someone here a running a 3V block as we'll---CobraRThunderbird is the guilty party, I *think*.

For head bolts/studs, I believe there are 3V specific parts. Just download the latest arp catalog and if you see a different offering for 3Vs for bolts/studs, there is your answer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the update. So there's no difference in the motor mount bolt hole position on the two engines? I haven't removed the 3V heads yet but I believe it's got flat top pistons like the NPI engine, therefore the compression rise should be the same, correct?....Ken.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Everything 2v will worl on the 3v block :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks for the update. So there's no difference in the motor mount bolt hole position on the two engines? I haven't removed the 3V heads yet but I believe it's got flat top pistons like the NPI engine, therefore the compression rise should be the same, correct?....Ken.
No difference at all
The only difference in the pistons is that they have valve reliefs

·
Registered
737 Posts
...and for those who might want to ask, utilizing the entire 3V engine is a bad idea...why?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I don't think it is a bad idea exactly, and I think that you can mechanically lock out the cam phasers and run it as is minus the VVT, but then you have to deal with the different intake and I am sure lots of other things.

Or you would need to do the full harness to retain VVT with the 3v, I am pretty sure I have seen pictures of a Thunderbord with a newer mustang harness and dash and 3v.

·
Super Moderator
16,735 Posts
The dash was overkill, the cluster would only need to be used if PATS were still enabled and a tune could shut that right off. All of our sensors are stand alone from the PCM except for the Tach and IIRC the 05+ PCMs have a Tach-out signal separate from the BUS(which the cluster gets it's information from). Otherwise a tach adapter solves that as well.

Hood clearance would be the only issue if using a stock hood. 3Vs are tall MFers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts