TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a 4.0L V6 in a MN12?

Might even be more fun if you could put Shelby's Terlingua V6 in.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Why would you want to?

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MadMikey,

A) It makes more HP than the 145 I have now.
B) parts for is are not obsoleted by Ford.
C) Shelby makes a super "go fast" package for that motor.
D) It is a V6, nuff said for me.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
MadMikey,

A) It makes more HP than the 145 I have now.
B) parts for is are not obsoleted by Ford.
C) Shelby makes a super "go fast" package for that motor.
D) It is a V6, nuff said for me.
E) for the money spent, why not drop a PI motor in?

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Well anything can be made to fit if you really want it. The thing is the 4.0L is a completely different motor from the 3.8, so you wouldn't be able to re-use anything you currently have. Basically, it would be harder to swap in than a 5.0 or 4.6, or even an SC motor, since it never came in a tbird and you will have to fabricate some stuff instead of just grabbing them off another car. And if you are going to this extent of a swap, you might as well pick a better motor than that one.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mikey,

It would be a "Project". It's like my friend Jake, who put a 5.4L with a Powerdyne blower in his Bird or any of the other guys who have done what the majority say can't be done.

Guys, not to be snippy or nasty, but if I really wanted a V8 (look at my ID), I'd buy a bird, cougar, Mark 8 LSC or a Maurader with one in it.

This idea is just an option to explore in my frustration with getting parts for the 3.8L.

I have a SC block, and various other parts, but again, if I want a SC, why not buy one? I had one, but couldn't fix all its problems of abuse by former owners.

Right now I'm just upgrading as I have to replace. What I really could use is access to a warm, dry garage with a lift, full set of air tools, and a paint booth. I just spent $300 to update the brakes and brake hoses.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I'm not disputing that it would be a project, or saying you should go buy a V8. I just don't think that the 4.0 is worth the effort it would be to get it installed. Can it be done? Certainly. With enough time and money, you could make a 747 out of a bottlecap. It just might not be cost-effective. I think the problem is that ford doesn't have any good V6s. I would sooner swap in an SHO 3.2V6 than the 4.0. That is a motor that could give you some decent performance. The 4.0 is a step up from a 3.8NA, but ultimately I don't think you would be happy with the performance vs the cost.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Considering SHOs are just as bad as the SC for being needy, I wouldn't go that way. Besides, those cars are FWD.

What does the Mustang come with these days? Other then that, you are very limited for RWD engines. Its not like the old F.E. days where you can swap 302s with 390s and 460s. Everything is computerized, you would need some help on the tuning side to make it work.

Surely there is some 3.8L stuff still around.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
I am running a duratec in my Taurus and I love it. Its a very powerful motor for the car and I think its very quick. I think that is one of fords better v6's.

Zero

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Swap a 4.2 with some mild mods, its feasible and been done. I'd have thought this is what all 6 owners would try to do for a 6 swap.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
i see nothing wrong with the 4.0's being needy.. my friends got one in his lifted 96 ranger mud truck.. we beat the hell out of that thing and run it completely tached out through 3 foot of mud and it still comes back for more.. weve never burnt the valves or blown the head gaskest.. although we did spin the main bearing from slamming it between reverse and 1st gear.. (4 speed manual :thumbsup:) i say do it. no one else has one and itll be cool , haul ass.. and yet still somewhat efficient..

·
Super Moderator
16,974 Posts
i see nothing wrong with the 4.0's being needy.. my friends got one in his lifted 96 ranger mud truck.. we beat the hell out of that thing and run it completely tached out through 3 foot of mud and it still comes back for more.. weve never burnt the valves or blown the head gaskest.. although we did spin the main bearing from slamming it between reverse and 1st gear.. (4 speed manual :thumbsup:) i say do it. no one else has one and itll be cool , haul ass.. and yet still somewhat efficient..
the 96 4.0 is a pushrod motor, the newer ones are SOHC;)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
your not helping my point damn it! :rofl: this is true but ive found both to be very dependable motors either way.. so hmpf lol

·
Registered
674 Posts
how bout 4.3 chebby? or 3.8 buick? :zwall:

I had a S10 ZR2, mmm, torquiest v6 i've ever encountered... :)
And as far as the buick 3.8, lets face it, it's a more efficient and more powerful motor. :) i'd like to see a series 2 or 3 GM 3.8 w/ a 4 barrel carb on top of it. :D wouldnt be as efficent, but it'd be cool to see nonetheless.

·
Registered
742 Posts
This is the 4.0 SOHC V6 we are talking about installing, correct? If so, I say do it. Concerning engine width...it looks like it is about as wide as a 3.8...if a 5.4 can go in there, I don't see why a 4.0 SOHC won't fit...hell, you only live once.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
351Cat,

I had a 231 N/A Buick back in 79 to 86. It was ok, but not super charged. The GNs and Grand Sports that had them were great straight line, but the tended to throw rods through the block.

My brother would rather I put in a 331 Spike(or Nail)head Wildcat V8. He still likes GMs and old Buicks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts