TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for comparison. I'm not shure if i should upgrade to the 4.10 or not. Any advice would be much apreciated. Also, I have decient mechanical experience and am wondering how long i should expect to work on this.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
How much highway driving do you do? What speed do you usually travel on the highway? how important is gas mileage to you?

You should drop the pumpkin, and take it to a professional. You must have the pinion angle, etc. to very exacting tolerances, and you need the right tools, ones the average DIY mechanic doesn't have.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i do a lot of highway driving. 60mile round trip at least 5 times a week. I averege 75mph . I Know it would drop the gas mileage, however I was under the impression that it wasn't horrible.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
At that kind of an average speed and frequency of trips, I think 3.73s would be a better choice. They're still a ton better than stock gears.

·
Registered
965 Posts
A lower gear ratio such as 3.73's will not necessarily lower your MPG. Mine stayed the same @ 26 MPG highway when I went from 3.27's to 3.73's.

·
8,239 Posts
go for 410 or 430's. I run 373's with the blower and its still not enough gear. Hell my truck has 373's in it stock from the factory.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I don't think my 4:10's affected my gas milage that much. Crappy before and crappy after them.

Here's what rpm my car is at certain speeds:

30mph - around 1700rpm (3rd)/2100 in (2nd gear)
40mph - 2000rpm (I didn't type what gear in the post, but I assume 3rd)
50mph - 2500rpm (same thing as 40mph)
60mph - 3100rpm in 3rd, 2200rpm in o/d
80mph - 4300rpm in 3rd, 3000rpm in o/d

if you like to race a lot, get the 4.10's.
As for installing them yourself, I say give it a shot. If you take the pumpkin out, expect maybe an hour or 2 with cleaning etc... closer to 2 if you take your sweet a$$ time, which is a good idea since they need to be near perfect.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Justin and Aaron,
Do you guys ever travel in your 'birds with the high gears?
RPM's are one thing but the seat of the pants or maybe the lack of it if you travel is something a bit different...if that makes any sense at all...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Grasshopper said:
Justin and Aaron,
Do you guys ever travel in your 'birds with the high gears?
RPM's are one thing but the seat of the pants or maybe the lack of it if you travel is something a bit different...if that makes any sense at all...:rolleyes:
Don't quite follow.....

I don't necessarily "travel". Have nowhere to go in Alaska :D
It is like 40 miles out to the track, and I range from 70-100mph on the trip to and back.... passing people doesn't take long at all even at higher speeds/rpms, and acceleration is still good at higher speeds.

I only posted the rpms/mph so he could see how much higher the rpms are at, at certain speeds vs. whatever gears he has.

·
Registered
364 Posts
well With 4.10s you will need a Chip, or tuner,, so add another 400-600. Correct?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
SkunkWorks said:
well With 4.10s you will need a Chip, or tuner,, so add another 400-600. Correct?
you can drive without a tune for the gears, but you will be limited to around 85mph w/ 4.10's.
A single custom program chip is around $325

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey everybody,
Thank you so much for your input. I think i'm gonna get the 4.10 gears. do you think $135 is a good deal. With 7k miles on em'.

Still curious. What are all the cons about them. I'm saying heck with the gas mileage. Gas isn't cheap but its well worth is when you rolling up some rice and smoking it. If ya know what i mean.

What kind of time loss should i expect on the 1/4 with the gears and a tuner?

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
364 Posts
with 3.73s alone I thin 6-7 10ths

I dont know with 4.10s and a tuner.. Maybe a full second on a good day? ( with good tires or slicks)

I'm sure someone with 4.10s will have some good times..

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
powerhouze said:
do you think $135 is a good deal. With 7k miles on em
No, I've seen brand new sets go for that much. try froogle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
greenbird thank you. I almost wasted some money. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
don't try installing them yourself...unless you really know what you're doing and you have ALL the tools

shop around, look for sum speed shops that sell them and install them

here in El Paso there is a shop that will get you a new set and professionally install them for a total price of $300, maybe you find a better deal

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not afraid. I still talk to my high school mechanics teacher. He'll let me use the shop. He would have to be there if i was working anyways. I know he wouldn't let me screw it up. . I just know that i could get the ring pinion and bearings; install them myself and save a load of chash. that would still be under 300.

Thanks for the concern,
Frank

·
Registered
364 Posts
I guess he has backlash gauges and pinion depth gauges and what not...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts