TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got 3.73s on the car right now and im thinking i want to go up higher...

i barely drive the car on the freeway and its not going to anytime soon...its just a fun car so i want to go to a lower gear....

what do u guys recommend 4.10s or 4.30s? i talked to some guy that had 3.73s and went to 4.10s and he didnt notice that much of a difference exept a tad quicer off the line of coarse...

any comments? experiences with these gears?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
if you do go with anything higher than 3.73, you should have the forced lube mod, a better converter and a better driveshaft. And also, how do you plan on getting traction from a dig? I havent thought about that yet. I am staying with my 4.10's, but its really up to you

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got a marauder TC on the car....and driveshaft still stocker...

plans are to get rid of the 4r70w and get a t56 that i almost have lined up for the car...6 gears with a 4 30 shouldnt be that bad....

then the hub swap is under plans also so that should give me a bigger variety of wheels and tires to go with that stick...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
well.. if you go with a manual, 4:30 is a little tall. I wouldnt go above 3.73's with a stick. If you really launch it hard, you run the risk of breaking half shafts with a tall gear ratio.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ehh...u live once...half shafts can be replaced...lol

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
well.. if you go with a manual, 4:30 is a little tall. I wouldnt go above 3.73's with a stick. If you really launch it hard, you run the risk of breaking half shafts with a tall gear ratio.

4.30's are actually shorter than 3.73's not taller.

If you are using the LS1 T-56 then the 4.30's will work perfect and be great on the highway with the 0.50 6th gear.

Russell

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
its just a precautionary measure since there's more wear on the tailshaft in the tranny. Its's where you drill a hole in the tailshaft housing and run a line to it so fluid gets to the end of the transmission. and yeah, you're right, i thought i had the shorter/taller thing down, but i dont.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got a set that i want to buy.... part number M4209-G430-M. would this fit? its for a 8.8 ford mustang rear end...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
i got a set that i want to buy.... part number M4209-G430-M. would this fit? its for a 8.8 ford mustang rear end...
I don't know about that M suffix, but the rest of the part number matches my 4.56 set.....except for the 430, which is of course 456 in my P/N.

If it's for an 8.8, it should work fine.

Mike

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well im about to get the 4.30s and i guess its recommened to get the install kit...ill have the pumpkin taken to a shop for them to do it and throw it on the car myself...

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the thing is that i can do all the work myself, but iv heard that if you dont know what your doing when ur taking a differential apart; your in big trouble, or will be when u get it on the road...

·
Registered
875 Posts
...if you dont know what your doing when ur taking a differential apart; your in big trouble, or will be when u get it on the road...
Quoted for truth. This is not a simple parts changer job, and if you don't know what you're doing, it's best left to someone who does.

Mike

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yeah, don't do the work yourself unless you know what you're doing. You have to know what shims to use, how much to crush the one washer, and on and on.

But you could pull the pod from the car yourself, that's not too hard. Take it to a guy and tell him to swap the gears.

4.56's might be fun, but I'll stick to my 4.30's. Am pulling about 2500 rpm at about 65mph.

Because of the gears I don't really go over 65 anymore, and pretty much stay in the right lane for the little freeway driving I do. Other than that though, it's alot of fun to blow just about everybody away at a stop-light with only 1/2 throttle :D.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts