TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, and never saw any mention of this.

What year EEC is compatible with the 4.2? Also... what kind of transmission is required? I saw PJ has a 96, so Im assuming he has the 4r70w... Im curious if it will work with an 89 AOD.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Actually PJ has a 94 but it does have the 4r70w.

Yes the 4.2 will fit on your AOD all you have to do is use the AOD flex plate.

Your EEC is compatible with the 4.2. You just may want a performance chip and dyno tune to get the air/fuel mixture correct.

-Thomas

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SWEET.

Ill haffa dig into this sommor.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whilst sitting on the pooper, I thought of a question I should have asked earlier.

Is the 3.8 Flywheel compatible with the 4.2?

·
8,978 Posts
yes

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody else concur or disagree? Not doggin ya Thomas, I just like second opinions and all.

·
8,978 Posts
brokenmachines_e2 said:
Anybody else concur or disagree? Not doggin ya Thomas, I just like second opinions and all.
No doggin taken.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Justin Agee (Justang) at 3.8 Mustang has a built 4.2 in his Stang and makes 233 rwhp and 252 tq.

You cannot use your 89 ECM if it is not MASS Air. You will have to swap in a later MASS air unit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is he swapping the intakes and all or just the block if its just the block I would think he would be fine with his current ecm as long as he uses everything from his car but I know what your sayin I was just backing thomas on what he said about the flex plate

·
8,978 Posts
hehe, I just thought of something. If flex were to hold a dinner plate, you could call it a "Flex plate." Okay so I'm bored. :D

Can a MAP car have it's air/fuel corrected by a tune? I don't think so. You'd have to convert to MAF.

-Thomas

·
Registered
369 Posts
What is a MASS car? I thought he meant a MAF car, namely MASS air flow.

Isn't there just 2 basic types of monitering, maf and speed density or something like that. I think the latter was on my TC.

:confused:

·
8,978 Posts
yup, sorry. typo. MAP car.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The difference is that cars that do not have an MAF meter have Speed Density ECM's. No one can or does mod these ECM's to account for mods. Speed Density systems can only adjust to about %15 increase in flow which is almost no mods. So they can only be retained if the owner wishes to only add bolt ons.

This is why you need to convert to MASS air from a later car (any one that has a MAF near the air box). The chips from these ECM's can be modded to account for airflow mods such as ported heads/intakes, cams, stroker kits etc.

Ford installed the MASS air ECM's from 91 on in the T-Birds.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If you are going to convert to a 4.2 in your 89, use the ECM, wiring, MAF etc. from the donor and then just have the ECM tuned to your mods.

K

·
0 Posts
wow... stroking :D

1. Use forged internals.

2. If you don't want to use forged internals, see #1.

·
8,978 Posts
krusher said:
wow... stroking :D

1. Use forged internals.

2. If you don't want to use forged internals, see #1.
:uppoint:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
While there is a small amount of yuks brought on by your comments krusher, there are no forged internals for a 4.2.

K

·
0 Posts
Flex said:
While there is a small amount of yuks brought on by your comments krusher, there are no forged internals for a 4.2.
well... before you stick your foot in your mouth... please visit www.supersixmotorsports.com and read the catalog... then please switch to the page for a complete FORGED 4.3L stroker kit for the 3.8L engine... then you can correct yourself and realize that I do know what I'm talking about. :D

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Before you stick your foot in your mouth where does it say forged crank anywhere in that catalog? Be specific please I've read it twice and it looks to me like it says Ford crank and all of Ford's are cast. If you want a forged 4.2 crank you pay more than even ssx charges.

No particular reason to go forged just for a stroker. It might last a little longer but you won't make enough hp to bother the cast Ford crank without forced induction. Anyone wants a 4.2 "stroker" should read PJs article first then this http://www.v6power.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16229 unless you have plenty of cash then head on over to ssx.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts