TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And wow! Does this car ever haul *** now!

She is still restricted by crappy exhaust (stock) with dying cats, but it still manages a good peel in 1st, and a long bark/spin/pull to one side when 2nd hits, on sticky 225/60/16's :)!

I was expecting it to spin through most of 1st gear, and maybe she will once I have the stall converter installed, and an exhaust created for her.

The bad part - she revs REALLY high now, which in itself isn't my problem - but the gas cost. Good thing she isn't a daily driver ;).

BTW - what's a good stall converter for a 1992 AOD w/5.0L HO? I'm leaning towards the 11.25" Mark 8 converter.

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you guys sure? Supposedly, I was able to use the Mark8 converter with my 4.6L Marquis WITH an AOD (not the electronic, early 92's still had AOD's).

Maybe it's the 4.6L that makes or breaks it, eh?

So, what's a good converter then for my Cougar?

Kevin.

Oh yeah - glad I didn't get yelled at about too high gear ratio's :D!

·
Registered
244 Posts
hey mike, whos blah blah tranny didn't **** the bed??? lol....hahahahaah. i can't hear you!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
burtonXR7 said:
how much does is cost to put in high gears?
and is ther any 1/4 mile advantages?
will those gears work good on a 94 4.6L daily driver?
thanks,
depends where you go. the gears would cost about 180, the install would be between 100 and 400, then if you dont have traction lock youll need a new differential.

standard price when said and done for new gears is around 650.

personally, i think that 4.30 is way too high for anything except 1/8th mile drag racing. you can pretty much kiss 1st gear goodbye even if you are mostly stock. i have 4.10:1 and its good in the 1/4 because i cross the finish at a good rpm, but 4.30:1 is way too steep, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn - almost 200 people viewed this thread, and nobody can help me out with the Torque converter thing :confused: :mad: ?

OK - gears, I traded my stock 3.55's out of my Marquis for my FMS 4.30's, the guy I traded with thought they were 4.10's and didn't want to go that high. After I told him they were 4.30's - he was GLAD he didn't put them in! I couldn't care less. At least they didn't cost me anything :).

Installation cost - one bottle of friction modifier from Ford, and a 4L jug of gear oil. Labor - free!!! I love that my brother is a mechanic, who has access to his employer's shop afterhours!

The verdict - I LOVE the gears! It currently has the ****ty stock cats on her, with the Y pipe, which I KNOW hurts performance. I have a custom Y pipe without cats sitting in my garage as the stock one went back on for emissions testing. I noticed that the car with 3.08's wouldn't spin in 1st anymore.

With that stock Y pipe and 4.30's I'm getting some good rubber in 1st, and when 2nd hits at 6000rpm I get a long bark, and when 3rd hits - another neck snapping shift. This IS with a shift kit though. Even when at low rpm's (2000), I get a little chirp when 2nd comes on - it's awesome in town :D! Here's this little black Cougar, slowly accelerating off the lights, and then CHIRP :D! I've seen old cars that do that, and it's awesome.

So - my fuel milage SUCKS, but since it's NOT a daily driver, I don't care. I could get 5mpg from it and it wouldn't bother me :p. I'm suspecting around 12-15, but since I haven't burnt through one tank yet - I can't know for sure. The other problem, is the speedo. I currently have a 21 tooth gear in the tranny, and it reads about 20kph too fast - but it's the highest I can get with the stock AOD output shaft. I'll have to tear apart the tranny and install a truck tranny output shaft to get it accurate, but I'm not that ambitious. For your 94 - I'd say maximum gear is 4.10, but I'd stick with the 3.73 - you still get decent milage when not hammering on it ;).

Advantages? It sure does get up and go now - NO Bogging. I haven't 1/4'd it yet, but I'm sure that it's picked up a bit. And, even though I though 1st would wind out too fast, I'm getting alot of ground with it - I'm not forced into 2nd right away with my launches. And with a good set of drag radials - there'll be next to no spinning in 1st.

Kevin.

·
Registered
647 Posts
MercCougarXR7 said:
Damn - almost 200 people viewed this thread, and nobody can help me out with the Torque converter thing :confused: :mad: ?

Precision Industries Stallion is one of the best... http://www.converter.com/
AOD+Solid input shaft = non-lockup converter though.

I'd be interested in hearing about a 1/4 mile run with 4.30's...my guess is that with 26" tall tires, you are going to run out of engine big time...

·
Registered
443 Posts
my 1st gear feels so short with 3.73's in my 3.8! i cant imagine what it would be like with 4.30's in a 4.6...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
As Blown306 said, get a PI. They are the best, period. As for the gears, 4.30 isn't too much I don't think. Heck, my car with 4.10's and a 5.0 gets 24 mpg on interstate...he he he. It works for me. Also, I don't know if he posts here anymore or not, but RL has a 5.0 cougar with 4.30's, and he is running some pretty impressive 13's in the quarter with stock ported heads and some other work. N/A mind you. You really need the gears to get these big cars to moving. I know I love driving my car a lot more with the gears.

John

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skidonenko said:
No you cannot run a converter from a 4r70W in a AOD, the input shafs are diffrent

josh
OK - thanks Josh - so THAT'S why they don't work. Damnit all the same ;).

I've emailed converters.com about the Stalion, and should hear back soon...

As per OD, I haven't run it yet, but I'm sure that I won't even need OD at the track. 1/4 mile will flip by right at the end of 3rd gear. But even if I do need OD, it'll shift quick enough with the shift kit...

Speedo - uncalibrated. But who cares :D! I have a rough idea how fast I'm going, but I'll need a chip of sorts to defeat the stock governer, as it's already reading fast, and severly limits top end. But it's still fast enough :).

13's in the 1/4 with ported STOCK heads? Hehehe - I'll be cleaning up the track when my Edelbrock headed 351 makes it under the hood :cool: . I sure won't be getting good milage though :D!

Thanks for the help guys,

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well, from what I remember, you will be looking at around $600 - $700 for the converter from PI, but they are well worth it. As for the speedometer, if you can find one, Cyberdyne used to make a unit for correcting speedometers like ours. They were like $70, but have been discontinued. I picked one up a while back, and it works great with my 4.10's.

Yeah...that motor should be big enough, but you realize you will venture into the land of custom headers right? Just an FYI.

John

·
Registered
647 Posts
rancherlee said:
depending on his 1/4 mile goal and redline he may be hitting OD
Not if the pedal is to the floor...he should not hit OD if the TV is set correctly...he'll be maxed in 3rd. 5.0's seem to lose power above 5800 typically...what he makes up in the 60ft he'll probably lose at the end of the track (and then some)...not to mention getting the car to hook in the first place :(
Just my $.02 that 4.30's are a blast on the street, probably ok in the 1/8, but not very good in the 1/4 (with a factory redline/powerband and stock height tires etc etc) Maybe the numbers can prove me wrong ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts