TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember how my 92 XR7 just received 4.30's?

Well, I haven't been to an official 1/4 mile track yet, but because I know my previous time (15.7's with 3.73's), and I'm sure that 4.30's can only improve on that, I tested the car last night on a back road, looking to see wether I'd need 4th gear to complete the 1/4 mile. The issue with 4th gear is that you have to lift off the throtle in order for the OD band to come on. Then, you lose the time/distance it takes for that shift, where no power is being put down.

To keep it short, 16 seconds ticks by when the car is at about 4500-5000 rpms in 3rd gear :).

That proves that even with a steep gear like the 4.30's coupled with an AOD you will not run out of 3rd gear before the end of the 1/4 mile.

Now I realize that the people who suggested that I'd run out of gear were only looking out for my best interests, and this post is not my intent to rub this truth in your faces ;). Just a FAQ.

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
heh, i didnt suggest that you would, i was telling you that you would.

if you run any quicker than mid 15's be prepared to shift into OD. im taching out 3rd with 4.10s right now about 5 feet before the finish.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I'd only trust back road test results if they were done with a measured strip or road, and/or a G-Tech. I still want one of those. ;)

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
4.10's + 4R70W + 1/4 mile

Quick question regarding this topic.

Would I have the same problems w/ 4.10's? I've been debating 3.73's or 4.10's for a while. i dont really care much for the MPG decrease b/w 3.73's and 4.10's.
I dont think i would hit OD w/ 4.10's...but i guess it doesnt hurt to check.

also, what's the top speed of a MN-12 w/ 3.73's? 4.10's? This is assuming the limiter is removed, driveshaft is a Mark VIII aluminum 1pc. or equivalent, TC is upgraded so that it doesnt balloon (Mark VIII/Mustang TC).....driveshaft safety loop, etc.

just was wondering.

thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Re: 4.10's + 4R70W + 1/4 mile

66dvlbrd68 said:
Quick question regarding this topic.

Would I have the same problems w/ 4.10's? I've been debating 3.73's or 4.10's for a while. i dont really care much for the MPG decrease b/w 3.73's and 4.10's.
I dont think i would hit OD w/ 4.10's...but i guess it doesnt hurt to check.

also, what's the top speed of a MN-12 w/ 3.73's? 4.10's? This is assuming the limiter is removed, driveshaft is a Mark VIII aluminum 1pc. or equivalent, TC is upgraded so that it doesnt balloon (Mark VIII/Mustang TC).....driveshaft safety loop, etc.

just was wondering.

thanks for your time.
regarding top speed... my chip right now was programmed for my 3.27's which set the limiter at a speed i couldnt reach. probably around 150. now with my 4.10's i hit my governer pretty hard around 120. i had an SHO next to me who said he was reading 120. the car definetly had at least another 10mph in it, we were both pulling side by side until i hit my limiter then he walked away like i was chained to a tree. ive also done the same with a WRX :D

gas mileage blows too.

·
2,028 Posts
Re: Re: 4.10's + 4R70W + 1/4 mile

J-Rob said:

regarding top speed... my chip right now was programmed for my 3.27's which set the limiter at a speed i couldnt reach. probably around 150. now with my 4.10's i hit my governer pretty hard around 120. i had an SHO next to me who said he was reading 120. the car definetly had at least another 10mph in it, we were both pulling side by side until i hit my limiter then he walked away like i was chained to a tree. ive also done the same with a WRX :D

gas mileage blows too.
i take it 4.10's are just over kill for an everyday driver car? like i said before, i'm torn between the two. my friend put 3.73's in his auto '95 Mustang GT convertible...says he wished he went w/ 4.10s instead...

i just dont know what i want to do...dont feel like blowing the money on gears, chip (which i'll need anyway), and installation...to have to rip em back out and put in a different gear set.

so 120....hm.
i think 3.73's would still be cool....top speed would be somewhere around 140 i guess??

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
well if you dont have a chip yet, and arent worried a whole lot about mpg then definetly go with the 4.10s. my only complaint is that my governer is at 120 right now, but thats only because my chip was programmed for 3.27's. top speed could actually still be the same as the 3.73s, because top speed is drag limited not gear limited. but thats another can of worms.

4R70W and AOD's combine great with 4.10s. with the 4R70W it makes your first gear about the same as a T5 with 3.73s. or was it a T45? i cant remember. no matter though, the thing launches really well.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
If your friend wants 4.10s in his Mustang, and he's got 3.73s, tell him to buy the 4.10s, and then you can take his 3.73s and everybody is happy! ;)

·
2,028 Posts
J-Rob said:
well if you dont have a chip yet, and arent worried a whole lot about mpg then definetly go with the 4.10s. my only complaint is that my governer is at 120 right now, but thats only because my chip was programmed for 3.27's. top speed could actually still be the same as the 3.73s, because top speed is drag limited not gear limited. but thats another can of worms.

4R70W and AOD's combine great with 4.10s. with the 4R70W it makes your first gear about the same as a T5 with 3.73s. or was it a T45? i cant remember. no matter though, the thing launches really well.
think you might be talking about a T-5..but i dunno...

plan is to get '93 Mark VIII driveshaft and the proper torque converter before gears..so i have time to decide...but would like the knowledge beforehand..

i just get worried....

auto + 4.10's + bad weather = no good.

sometimes it snows here...i dont feel like being in the snow w/ 4.10s....then again..i could just start it in like 2nd or something...

thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
AverageJoe said:
If your friend wants 4.10s in his Mustang, and he's got 3.73s, tell him to buy the 4.10s, and then you can take his 3.73s and everybody is happy! ;)
thats funny because thats the same thing that happened to me, except the other way around.

my friend had 4.10s in his mustang but he runs a blower. i had just bought 3.73s and was going to put them in the next day. i told him that he would run quicker with 3.73s because he would stay at full boost longer, he told me that 4.10s would give me a nice gearing through 1st and 2nd.

tore the gears out of his stang, installed them in an SC rear end and swapped it into my bird. took my 3.73s i had sitting around and put them in his stang. he ended up running almost a full second faster in the 1/4 with the 3.73s and i got a better improvement with the 4.10s.

:D

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
66dvlbrd68 said:

think you might be talking about a T-5..but i dunno...

plan is to get '93 Mark VIII driveshaft and the proper torque converter before gears..so i have time to decide...but would like the knowledge beforehand..

i just get worried....

auto + 4.10's + bad weather = no good.

sometimes it snows here...i dont feel like being in the snow w/ 4.10s....then again..i could just start it in like 2nd or something...

thanks for the info
Or idle around. My 3.27s are enough for me in snow/ice. :) I don't like the idea of trying to drive 3.73s and don't even want to think about driving 4.10s. But maybe thats just because our roads suck. :)

·
2,028 Posts
crappy roads

AverageJoe said:

Or idle around. My 3.27s are enough for me in snow/ice. :) I don't like the idea of trying to drive 3.73s and don't even want to think about driving 4.10s. But maybe thats just because our roads suck. :)

havent been to texas...but i figure the roads around albuquerque have to be the crappiest roads ever. if it rains.....pot holes everywhere. if it snows...pot holes everywhere.

Right after i bought my car, it snowed like a biach (which for here is like 1/8"). Anyway, the tires that came w/ the car...well....lets just say they were crap. Bald rears...crappy cracking front...'general' brand or something...

hit a patch of ice leaving the parking lot from my college....minutely over corrected..but since it was iced/slick, i went sideways....didnt hit nothing (thank God).

damn i'm glad i got my Kumho's....actual tread...dont lose traction now.

but it still disturbs me...

i'd like to be able to just masacre some stuff...tired of the 'oh, look at the grandma car' attitude everyone has towards my car. i blew the doors of this civic thing the other day....dude was soooo pissed; girlfriend was with him too. i just smiled.
:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
With my stock 3.08 I've been thinking the other way. I could almost do the 1/4 without touching 3rd. I'd have to run 2nd to about 5500 rpm. But, I could do it. With the 3.73 gear I wanna get at some point I'd be going to 4500 in 3rd for the same speed.

·
2,028 Posts
Werty said:
With my stock 3.08 I've been thinking the other way. I could almost do the 1/4 without touching 3rd. I'd have to run 2nd to about 5500 rpm. But, I could do it. With the 3.73 gear I wanna get at some point I'd be going to 4500 in 3rd for the same speed.
3.08's....i'm sorry. i think my car is sluggish off the line and i have 3.27's w/ traclok. friend had 3.08's in his cobra when it was purchased...
wow that sucked...
gears are a very nice wake up call.

just got to relearn how to launch the car (to cut down on excessive wheel spin)...and take care around corners on the street.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are M8 and GT converters the same? I want to do a GT swap in the far future, but want to do a drivetrain overhaul in the near future. What converter would I want to go with, if they aren't the same? I'm not too worried about losses with a higher stall converter now, because I know it will be cured later down the road. But I would want to put the converter in now that will help the most down the road when I do the swap, to save time and money.

Pat

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I get 24 mpg's on the interstate with my 4.10's. I don't know what you guys are doing, but I am very pleased.

John

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hmmm, this can probably be debated as much as the "who makes the best supercharger" question. I'll post what my trans guy told me when I asked him about gears, and some comments.

To paraphrase: "You should go with 3.73's if you run 26" tall tires. That will put you through the traps @ 5800 rpm. The 5.0's tend to start losing power over 5800. If you are going to run 28" tall tires, then go 4.10's. If you run 4.10's on 26" tires, you'll run out of engine/powerband."

Now the disclaimers...my trans does not have the standard gearing, valve body or torque converter of a stock AOD. This is for a supercharged 5.0 application. This is solely based on 1/4 runs; top speed and MPG are no concern. He runs the same trans I have in a Mustang running low nines with 28" tires and 4.10's. With that being said, take it for what it's worth. If you like the 4.30's and it works for you, then that is what you go with. No problem rubbing in the truth, but timing with a stopwatch on a backroad is just a little above a SOTP measurement IMHO.

66dvlbrd68, don't feel sorry for us guys with 3.08's...mine work great on the street when I'm developing full boost @ 2000 rpms...at least I have a chance of getting just a little traction that way! ;)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Hey Blown306, don't you run low 13s/high 12s or something? On 3.08s?!?!

·
2,028 Posts
Blown306 said:
Hmmm, this can probably be debated as much as the "who makes the best supercharger" question. I'll post what my trans guy told me when I asked him about gears, and some comments.

To paraphrase: "You should go with 3.73's if you run 26" tall tires. That will put you through the traps @ 5800 rpm. The 5.0's tend to start losing power over 5800. If you are going to run 28" tall tires, then go 4.10's. If you run 4.10's on 26" tires, you'll run out of engine/powerband."

Now the disclaimers...my trans does not have the standard gearing, valve body or torque converter of a stock AOD. This is for a supercharged 5.0 application. This is solely based on 1/4 runs; top speed and MPG are no concern. He runs the same trans I have in a Mustang running low nines with 28" tires and 4.10's. With that being said, take it for what it's worth. If you like the 4.30's and it works for you, then that is what you go with. No problem rubbing in the truth, but timing with a stopwatch on a backroad is just a little above a SOTP measurement IMHO.

66dvlbrd68, don't feel sorry for us guys with 3.08's...mine work great on the street when I'm developing full boost @ 2000 rpms...at least I have a chance of getting just a little traction that way! ;)

hey there blown306. sweet ride! i feel sorry for people that have 3.08's and are naturally aspired.....i just remember how slow my friend's car accelerated...
not like mine is much better.

now, since you have boost...well, that gear will work. i never understood people that put some sick gear, like 4.10's in a car that has a Vortech or a roots type supercharger. A friend of a friend (yeah, i know, sounds weird), has a Vorteched Fox body w/ 4.10's....sure, it's hella fast...but he has the most sick traction problems.

i think having traction would help out..not just brute force.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know my tire height, but they're 225/60/16's, and WILL be 255/45/17's when I get another set of Mustang wheels.

OK - found out that 3rd gear in an AOD is a 1:1 ratio with the engine. Same ratio as 4th gear in a T5.

Now my brother's T5 Mustang is running mid 12's (12.3?), and he's crossing the 1/4 line in 4th gear at 5400rpm (I think that's what he said).

So a slower car will have no problem being at a 1:1 ratio with the engine for that same 1/4 mile.

No problem rubbing in the truth, but timing with a stopwatch on a backroad is just a little above a SOTP measurement IMHO
I agree to a certain extent. But, time is time, and seconds are seconds, wether on a back road - or at the track. I also gave a conservative time - 16 seconds! My car ran a 15.7 with 3.73's, and there is NO way the car is slower - it's noticably quicker. So even with a SOTP measurements, I'm 99% confident that I'll have plenty of 3rd gear left for the way the car currently is, as well for my travel into the 14's with the 4.30's :).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts