TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question has any one thought of the 3v 4.6 engine as a replacement of the stock 2v 4.6 engine. would the P.I intake would work or would the intake have to change as well. the thought has been a wonder for me for a little bit and would it be a better swap for most who is looking for a engine to put into the car. granted it didn't have such a long run like the 2v and 4v 4.6 did. but would it be a good alternative besides trying to cram a new 5.0 or another 2v 4.6? it is a question than any thing else

·
Super Moderator
7,528 Posts
Not worth the trouble in my opinion. They have the variable cam timing, so in order to actually get the 300hp they were rated at, you would need to use the 05-10 Mustang ECM, which is a lot of rewiring, and you would need a tune to disable the PATS. They don't make much more power than a modded 2v or a stock 4v, and the variable can timing was still early in production, so they are known for those components failing.

·
Super Moderator
17,051 Posts
Spark plugs are troublesome too.

The VVT isn't used for power on the 3Vs though, it's used for emissions as sort of an EGR substitution. The phasers would need to be locked if you were to use it on a standard PCM. I agree with Mike, not worth it. The PI intake will definitely NOT fit and the 3V intake is so tall the hood won't clear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts