TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to make the decision wether to go the with a 4.6 DOHC or with the SOHC. So i have been gathering alot of info latley between the 4.6 single cam and dual cam. what kinda aftermarket is out there for the dual cam? i mean i can get a bullit intake/pi heads/headers/supercharger/etc for the 4.6 SOHC. What is available as for the dual cam? Do they have even half the stuff they do for the single cam? And what would make moe power in the long considering the aftermarket avaliable on both? thanks

-Derrick-

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
Do they have even half the stuff they do for the single cam? And what would make moe power in the long considering the aftermarket avaliable on both?
If you wanted to go balls out then the DOHC would be the platform to go with and there is plenty of "Stuff" for it as well. Personally I'd rather go with the SOHC setup for the space issue and lack of low end torque the 4V has but you can fix anything with forced induction;) I have both BTW.

-Scott

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok well im thinking i am gonna go with sohc, as far as getting heads for it what can i get that will not raise the CR very far and i can still run the bullit or pi intake?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Fast96Tbird said:
ok well im thinking i am gonna go with sohc, as far as getting heads for it what can i get that will not raise the CR very far and i can still run the bullit or pi intake?
either you get a complete PI motor or you have a set of pre '99 heads port matched to the Bullitt or PI manifold.
if you put in the PI heads with your stock pistons your compression will be aroud 10.2:1...not blower friendly.
joseph

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well my plan now is to get a 99+ pi motor and put a bullit intake manifold on, some light P&P on the heads. Forged pistons and rods, and maybe get a procharger and push a couple pounds of boost..............but that would cost some good money. These markviii guys on the other hand part out these cars and will sell 32v 4.6 tranny and computer and engine for like around 1000 that puts me already to i think 280hp and 300 lb-ft torgue and then i am assuming i could p&p the heads alittle in then strap a roots type blower to it and be producing a good 400 ponies or more. I don't know, I have been swaying back and forth about what i want to do. So i figured i would finally ask the experts. I want the biggest bang for the buck. If i can do a SOHC cheaper and get more power then modifying a DOHC thats what i will do. If i can do a DOHC cheaper then a SOHC and get more power then thats what i will do

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
If money is an issue I would hold off on the Bullitt manifold. It will not helps things till you get a blower and it aint cheap. I would start from the ground up and build a good strong base and then in time start throwing power adders on top of that base this way you don't have to go back in. Stock Mark VIII guys (I'm one of them) see about 220-230RWHP (at the wheels, not crank) and I feel it would be cheaper to build up the SOHC.

-Scott

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Fast96Tbird said:
ok thats what i was looking for. well how much can does a 99pi motor run at ford?
Too much. You can generally find a relatively low mileage one in a junkyard or someplace for about $1000-1500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts