TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 cougar w/ a 4.6 is burning about 1.5 quarts every month, i have been told it is one of two things or both, bad rings or worn valve seals. I am hoping it is valve seals because i have an extra set of heads in my basement. Please let me know what you think.

Brett

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
But what heads do you have downstairs? The casting #s I mean.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i am curious baout this also. i seem to have had 2 quarts mysteriously disapear from my engine as well over the last couple months, yet no drippage. praying it isnt the rings. is there a way to tell? if it is the valve seals then my pi swap will get moved to the front of my to do list, lol. :D if its rings, ZOINKS! can it hold for a few mothns while i save for a new block?

·
Registered
926 Posts
If , its bothering you really bad try Lucas oil additive, it works great from what I have heard. Just stay away from chocolate syrup and and honey. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I second the lucas oil additive. I didn't add it on my last oil change and I've burned up about 2 quarts in 3000miles.

To check if you rings are bad:
get a compression tester, test the cylinders. Add a spoonful of oil to the cylinder... if compression goes up: it's the rings. If it stays the same, its the rings.

*edit* Heh! Thats what I get for posting at work... If the readings stay the same, its the VALVE SEALS... not the rings:leftright

·
Registered
168 Posts
PSI-Clone said:
I second the lucas oil additive. I didn't add it on my last oil change and I've burned up about 2 quarts in 3000miles.

To check if you rings are bad:
get a compression tester, test the cylinders. Add a spoonful of oil to the cylinder... if compression goes up: it's the rings. If it stays the same, its the rings.
and if it goes down...izzat the rings too???:D

DR:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
valve stem seals would be my guess to. i just replaced mine about 3 months ago. seems they go out by age rather than milage from all i have read about it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks guys,

My cougar was puffing smoke real bad at idle and just off the line.
Added a quart of the lucas oil stabalizer, and guess what, no more smoke.

Does anyone have any bad stories on the use of lucas?

thanks
rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nope. I've used a couple of lucas products, all with good results. I recommend using the oil additive, power steering additive, and the injector cleaner. I've never had even a slight adverse reaction to any of them. They all work as advertised!:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
My money would be on the Valve seals, they were a bad design pre 96 or 98. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I had 2 4.6s with the same problem and both were Valve seals.

Best way to check is let the car run at operating temp for about 10-15min and hit the gas if you see blue/black smoke along with the smell of oil burning then that's it. Also try looking in your mirror after you've been sitting at a red light or stop sign. It should do it then too.

Very rarely is it the rings.

·
AnimeWhore
1,796 Posts
hmmm...Can a valve guide be shot but not the seal? I've had what I think is a valve guide tap in mine for a couple of years now, but it burns nearly no oil at all in 3000 miles (maybe half a quart).

·
Registered
153 Posts
My car has been burning oil since the late 90's, I just refuse to acknowledge it and it goes away, I just dump the cheapest bottle of stop smoke I can find and set it and forget it. Will my car eventually decide to explode and die?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Just make sure you top it up when it goes down by a quart, and it will live a loooong time that way.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have put 50 K miles on my oil drinking beast since I have bought it and it does not smoke but uses a quart every 1000 miles.

Oil is cheap

1 - 18 of 18 Posts