TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been having some problems with my 'bird lately (Esther -- for you SC/NC guys :) ).

Esther is a 1994 4.6 L, btw.

Esther sat from August to about March (don't drive her in the winter). I fired her up in early March, no problem. Then some stuff went down, and I didn't get to touch her again until April. Wouldn't fire. My dad and I messed with some stuff, cleaned off the ground to the frame, and pulled fuses in and out, checked out wiring, etc. Finally fired up. Drove her off and on throughout the past few months, alternating with my Focus to save on fuel, etc. Had one problem when I took her to school a couple weeks ago. Fired fine, got to school, parked her, got out of class four hours later, and the car didn't want to fire. Cranked her, no fire. Waited a few minutes, cranked, no fire. Finally fired, and I got home. Didn't have time to look at her for a week due to the work/school combo. When I tried to fire her up again late last week, she didn't want to fire.

The car cranks, nice and healthy, but doesn't fire up. Dad and I can hear the fuel pump turning on, the battery has a good charge, the plugs are sparking, etc. New gas in the tank.

Anyone have a good solution to this? This is t-bird season to me, and I've been having to drive my Focus, and it's starting to annoy me quite a bit.

Dad and I are ripping into the car tomorrow, and it'd be nice to have a few new ideas on what to look at. We're going to start tomorrow with taking off the ext. fuel filter and making sure that's not clogged, then going from there.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
What about coil packs???Would they go intermidant like that?Give those a shot.

·
5,650 Posts
Check the wiring to the crank position sensor. It has a tendency to fray with time and if they short together (there are 2 wires) the car won't fire or do anything but turnover, and if they short together while you are driving the car can stumble and die. The crank sensor goes into the block right at the front of the A/C compressor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts