TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big is too big? I may buy new ones since I'm getting a swap tune anyway. I was wondering though what's the biggest that I should run on a mildly modified 4.6 dohc my eventual plans are to sc the motor but that's years away. Currently I have a set of 24lb/hr rebuilt flow benched injectors laying around will this be more than sufficient or should I upgrade? I currently also have a walbro 255 fuel pump installed as well.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking 42lb green tops, any feedback on those?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
pretty much same thing.....main reason I was suggesting blue 39#'ers is because a lot of terminator guys upgrade theirs, and you can usually pick up a very low-mile set for little cost...I don't think that many vehicles came with 42#'ers in recent years...unless you plan to buy new, then its the same thing

·
Super Moderator
10,274 Posts
Any advantage to putting my 24 pounders on my new PI engine? I will be having true duals put on, but I'm using the stock manifolds for now... and it's getting the walbro pump I got from Robert.

I can add it to the tune easy enough, but will I run into minimum pulse width issues?

(I thought that was the major problem with upgrading the injectors too early)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
no minimum PW issues...there is no issue with upgrading injectors too early, so long as all the parameters are incorporated into the tune

with larger injectors, our pcm's can have the injector delay table mapped out to fully inject ALL fuel onto the back of a closed, hot intake valve for better vaporization....whether or not this is beneficial is still up in the air...the idea being that the more vaporized the fuel, the better atomization

·
Super Moderator
10,274 Posts
Cool; thanks for the info.

I made a cleaner setup for injectors awhile back; I'll clean those out and install them on the manifold tomorrow.

Nick is sending me front timing parts; the ford place you mentioned didn't have a full set, and thought they are getting rare... It may be time to stockpile.

Of course, I may have just confused him badly.

BTW, my buddy almost crapped himself when I did the Bevis thing this afternoon; he's going to add the bungs to my new exhaust. Thankfully, I have a loose exhaust to take him for alignment/setup. :) You can never have too many of these cars, lol.

So how's progress on your new motor? That thing will wind like my first dirt bike, from what you've mentioned, lol. It's rev limit was 11.5k... I think you might beat that.

When I first started into mod motors, the hi-revving aspect was one of the things I wondered about; I can just imagine what you've been thru with balancing...

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
This is what I had posted a while back about injector delay:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=123291&highlight=Injector+delay

Like I mentioned, not sure if it did anything, but I was able to get my car up to 17 mpg/city WITH the SVO intake manifold and Crower stage 2cams...that's better than what my car was getting when it was bone stock....it may have had something to do with it

As for my motor, it's still a work in progress. A lot of parts are getting sent to swain tech this upcoming week....no it won't hit 11.5k lol....I'm ordering some new lightweight wrist pins, so as soon as they arrive, I'll let the machine shop earn their money....but once it's done, my sig will read "My stall is higher than your redline"....that should give most an idea of what's in store :D

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
So are you saying you want me to start posting pictures of the converter GM?
You get the first of the laser etched front covers that have my logo showing.
Alan

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
only if it's something to brag about :tongue:
There isn't another exactly like it, besides a few local people Driller has a version with the highest multiplication stator (there are currently 3 of these) and Funktastic lucky has the 7 disc unit with the same combination

Alan

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yea I know...so long as the torque multiplication is there, its all good.....I have a feeling the engine will make more torque than anyone is expecting, due to the coatings that everything is getting...so that will help

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
That is the current dilema, for highest torque multiplication we have to reduce stall a few hundred rpms. I cna built it to 3:1 with a true stall of 5600 or build it to 2.5:1 with a true stall of 6200. It is all about the stator. The higher stall will come on once turbine speed increases, the highest multiplication will hit the wheels hard on launch.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
10,274 Posts
Do you ever sleep, GM?

:)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow this is getting derailed fast. How about 60lb injectors? Is there such a thing as too much injector? Do they need a min on rate? Is there an ideal operating percent?

·
Super Moderator
10,274 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts