TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there a thread a while back that started talking about this then i asked because it was brought up by someone else, do dohc heads bolt up to sohc blocks??? i thought they were completely different....:confused:

i don't have a 4.6 but i am curious

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Yes they will bolt up fine. The head gaskets are the same as are the head bolts. But where you run into problems is the timing chain tensioners. The arms mount in different ways so there are some modifications that need to be made.

I'm working on a "work in progress" about the whole affair, but I've never gotten around to finishing the write up.

But take this from someone who has gone this route: Buy a whole DOHC engine with all the accessories. The little things with the timing chain tensioners along with all the nuts and bolts just make it not a good plan to mix and match (IMHO). Additionally, the combustion chamber of the DOHC heads are larger which lowers your CR by about a point unless you go with flat top pistons.

The only reason I went that route is that I already had a new short block that I had just assembled with plans of a PI top end, but got a really good deal on the DOHC setup. (Or so I thought)

I wouldn't go this route again if I had to do it over. :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts