TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It depends on your definition of "best". Best as in easy to install or best as in most power? The easiest DOHC swap is to have a Mark VIII donor car and swap everything over. Most power... probably a 03-04 Cobra motor with supercharger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok, thanks. as for the engine swap, anybody know how difficult it would be? would it be just drop it in and hook it up, or would there be any modifications that would need to be done.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
ok, thanks. as for the engine swap, anybody know how difficult it would be? would it be just drop it in and hook it up, or would there be any modifications that would need to be done.
You have to modify the driver side exhaust manifold. Most guys modify the existing engine wiring harness and lengthen a few wires to fit the setup. And eventually you'll need a tune. Check the 4.6 forum, and search a little. There are several threads on the subject. Happy hunting! :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
This is good info as I am really wanting to do the DOHC swap.
What about the Mark motor compared to the Explorer motor: which is an easier mount? more power potential? lighter?

Maybe this info will help others out too :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do the Mark for sure and swap everything over to the bird. Since you r looking at a complete Mark, swap everything over including the harness and ECU. This will make it as painless as possible.

·
Registered
623 Posts
...swapping over the entire harness and ecu would be a breeze (sarcasm).

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
You guys better have time, the resources and Money to complete such a task. Many a project has been sidelined because of such reasons. The main thing is the harness is different.

I am going from a V6 to a DOHC, so there in lies alot of my own problems.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Do the Mark for sure and swap everything over to the bird. Since you r looking at a complete Mark, swap everything over including the harness and ECU. This will make it as painless as possible.
Do some research, you don't need to swap the wiring or the ECU from the mark. a wiring harness swap can be a really big job. The stock computer can be tuned to run the DOHC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
...swapping over the entire harness and ecu would be a breeze (sarcasm).
Keep your sarcasm to yourself. I almost forgot why I had stopped coming around here years ago.

It easier than cutting and soldering extensions and modifying the factory harness. He didn't state if it was a V6 he has or a V8.

Swapping the harness and ECU is a guaranteed turn key solution. No tuning required to the make the ECU work. If you have the complete setup available why would you hack up your factory harness? You could remove it and sell it to someone else in need. If it is for a V8 I'm sure there are members out there who would love to have the factory harness and ECU to facilitate a V6 to V8 swap.

I have done more than a few swaps on different cars. IMO this is the easiest/safest route unless you are familiar with the harnesses and comfortable doing your own wiring work. Swapping the harness is not easy but it is the safest route on making sure everything will work right the first time.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
In my experience it has been for me. Removing and installing a Ford factory harness from 1 car to the next has never been a big hassle. I went the route with a Painless wiring harness when I swapped my 91 from a V6 to 5.0. it was less painless an more of pain. I had to add different connections, run, wires that weren't there for the 5.0 etc...

To me pulling and installing a harness is easier in my opinion. I can do it in less than a day. To each their own, if people want to cut up a perfectly good factory harness and get the ECU retuned then more power to them. For me it makes more sense to use the harness that was made for the motor with the ECU for it rather than like I said before cut and extend connections and then have to get a tune to make the ECU work correctly with the new motor.

I would rather remove and swap the DOHC harness and use the Lincoln ECU to be done with it. Sell the other harness in the market place or ebay if it is from another V8. Going from a V6 to V8 is another whole animal. I never did it on the modular motors so I do not have first hand experience doing it. With the old standard pushrod V8 I did my motor swap in 98 and it would have taken much more work to make the factory V6 harness work than swapping a new one in. The only regret is I should have bought another t-bird/cougar 5.0 factory harness instead of the Painless brand one.

When I scrapped my Cougar I removed my harness from my car and had it in my buddies truck before the end of the same day. Not that hard.

To each there own, that is why we have forums like this to post our opinions......

·
Registered
469 Posts
In my experience it has been for me. Removing and installing a Ford factory harness from 1 car to the next has never been a big hassle. I went the route with a Painless wiring harness when I swapped my 91 from a V6 to 5.0. it was less painless an more of pain. I had to add different connections, run, wires that weren't there for the 5.0 etc...

To me pulling and installing a harness is easier in my opinion. I can do it in less than a day. To each their own, if people want to cut up a perfectly good factory harness and get the ECU retuned then more power to them. For me it makes more sense to use the harness that was made for the motor with the ECU for it rather than like I said before cut and extend connections and then have to get a tune to make the ECU work correctly with the new motor.

I would rather remove and swap the DOHC harness and use the Lincoln ECU to be done with it. Sell the other harness in the market place or ebay if it is from another V8. Going from a V6 to V8 is another whole animal. I never did it on the modular motors so I do not have first hand experience doing it. With the old standard pushrod V8 I did my motor swap in 98 and it would have taken much more work to make the factory V6 harness work than swapping a new one in. The only regret is I should have bought another t-bird/cougar 5.0 factory harness instead of the Painless brand one.

When I scrapped my Cougar I removed my harness from my car and had it in my buddies truck before the end of the same day. Not that hard.

To each there own, that is why we have forums like this to post our opinions......

Still alot more work then moding the harness and getting a tune.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts