TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given three alternatives ... which would YOU choose to swap in to the '96 Bird?

1. 2001 Crown Vic. 53,000 miles. 30 day warranty. Tested excellent compression. Clean oil, etc. $700. This engine in located in Colorado - about 3 hrs from us. Thinking we could go pick it up tomorrow!

2. 2002 Explorer from Greenleaf. UNKNOWN mileage, but listed as titled for fleet. I assume this would indicate good maintainence. $1375 shipped. 6 mo. parts only warranty.

3. 1996 T-bird engine from Greenleaf. 19,000 miles (so says Jay at Greenleaf.. can this truly be possible??) If milage is true, then would be easiest of all swaps! $1075 shipped. 6 mo parts only warranty.

Help me out here, guys! Jon needs a good (RUNNING!! LOL!) reliable car!

Marcee

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
I'd go with option one...primarily b/c he'd get more power and the $300 difference would be the money for an engine tune.chip :) Still gonna need some other stuff to do the swap, regardless what engine since the 96+ tbirds are different than the 94-95. Do a search under "PI engine swap" or just "Engine swap" and you will have most, if not all the answers you need.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I cant comment on the other two but I would definetly not choose the 96 Thunderbird engine. Doesnt make much sense to replace same pos engine into the car, definetly go newer. I would have thought Greenleaf would have had alot more choices that just the 1 expo.

I'll do some searching myslef later to see if I find anthything.

Dave

edit: kk - great mids think alike..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a carfax thing on the 2001 Crown Vic and also called the guy (with the engine) back to ask more quetions and get the vin #

Not sure if this matters or if there is any difference? but this is what carfax had in it

Year/Make/Model: 2001 FORD CROWN VIC POLICE INTCPTR

Body Style: SEDAN 4 DR
Engine: 4.6L V8 EFI SOHC
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: CANADA
Safety Equipment: ABS Optional, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer

Milage is actually 57,242, it was wrecked (no damage to engine compartment), and it has been sitting on the shelf (drained) since 6/7/04

Thanks for the help!
Marcee

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It might have more "idling" hours than the low mileage might represent, but I would say that Option 1 would be what I would do, Option 2 with the aluminum block would be nice, but since you have a 96 with all the pieces in place, but a bum engine, you can swap over what you need to the CV engine.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
There are a few subtle differences in the Crown vic like the TB faces the drivers side but that can be changed. I went the 02 explorer route (I'm pretty sure I was the first) and found it to be pretty straight forward plus the engine weighs less being all aluminum. If you do a search on my name and explorer swap from a couple of years ago you should find plenty of info on the swap and what was involved along with a parts list and wiring instructions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I too am in Colorado and check out Ford Parts LTD in Denver. They had a Mark DOHC for 700 in good shape. I am sure they have more but that was the engine I was hunting for...just found one that was a better deal than that one.;)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I'd go with option one for the reasons listed. The Explorer engine would be nice, but I don't think it'd be worth the extra money.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
canadianblake said:
hey timb what if any , did you havew to do to the 94 computer...does an 02 hook up easy to the 94 ?
Nothing has to be done but you can get some gains with a tune

1 - 10 of 10 Posts