TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ok so im getting these p0171 and p0174 codes for banks one and two both being lean since ive replace my transmission and torque converter since the converter went out. Ive changed the O2 sensors and the Idle air control recently due to other problems in the past. So now my car is drinking major gas like twice the usual but it says its lean. Also I believe I heard some pinging from my driver side like it was from detonation. So I put in a new maf, some 93, reset the codes, and it still came up after a few minutes of driving, but it doesn’t drink gas as bad and runs better even with 87.

Also before I replaced the transmission it idled fine in park/neutral start up goes straight to a little over 1000 and work its way down to around 1000 but when I shifted into reverse/drive the rpms would drop extremely low the car would shudder and stall.
Now it starts up goes to above 1000 but then immediately drops down to around 500-700 and then works its way up to 1000 and when I shift into drive/reverse and remain at a stop the needle goes to 500 bounces on that line, kinda looks like a rock skipping on water, and every 8-10 seconds or so drops to like 400-350 like it wants to stall but doesn’t. Then it takes forever to shift through first and second sound extremely loud like im putting the pedal to the floor and it seems like I have to hold the pedal down farther and harder when I want the car to shift like it doesn’t want to when it gets to third seems like it runs more like normal

Also since ive replaced the tranny and converter the o/d light blinks occasionally and randomly. The speedo doesn’t work in first at all, it says like 30 when I know im going around over 50 when in second, third is ok it seems but unstable, and fourth says im going faster than I think I am like it says 90 on the interstate when the speed limit is 60 so everyones going no more than 80.

The transmission I put in came out of the same year 96 4.6 thunderbird so I don’t think it’s a tranny electronic connection problem

And it has a new iac, maf, o2 sensors, but still says both sides lean
I CANNOT find a vacuum leak replaced most of the vacuum lines also

Someone please help me and yea ive searched
i saw the one "97 4.6 engine trans problem or maybe both"
and all the ones talking about lean conditions and the codes "Codes P0171 & P0174 "
i dont know what to do now
sorry if posted in wrong section or too many problems for one thread

·
Registered
345 Posts
i cleaned the maf
then replaced it
it helped like after i first reset the codes it runs pretty good
but gets worst again over time

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
either vacuum leak you haven't found or fuel pressure regulator problem is my initial guess.....maybe the O2 wires are damaged........since you've replaced several items you'll need to log the data from the pcm IF it turns out that there is in fact no vacuum leak

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ive changed the O2 sensors and the Idle air control recently due to other problems in the past. So now my car is drinking major gas like twice the usual but it says its lean.
I'm not sure but maybe it's the IAC? Did you get a cheapie from a parts store? I just replaced mine with one from Auto Zone while I was replacing my DPFE sensor on my 95 and took a road trip and used a lot more gas than normal. I did notice on the cheapie, it doesn't have a spring on the rod inside it and the OEM does. I'm not getting any codes though but now you've got me wondering :confused:

Mike

·
Registered
485 Posts
Timing can cause major gas usage!! I know on an intrepid i had Timing was off a lil and it started using twice the gas almost!!

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
does anyone have any other ideas
YEAH - Have Tranny guy pull the Tranny Codes also per the blinking OD lite.

The transmission I put in came out of the same year 96 4.6 thunderbird so I don’t think it’s a tranny electronic connection problem
WRONG thinking... Your Speedo probs clearly indicate one of possibly SEVERAL probs related to an install prob with internal or external Tranny harness or electrical Tranny component.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts

WRONG thinking... Your Speedo probs clearly indicate one of possibly SEVERAL probs related to an install prob with internal or external Tranny harness or electrical Tranny component.
Exactly....they probably just told him it came out of the same year car just to make the sale....more than likely came out of a mustang with perhaps even with a different speedo gear

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
Drop the pan on the tranny and look at the solenoids; that's pretty clear.

Or, you could just look at the tag on the passenger side of the tranny and post what it says.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Exactly....they probably just told him it came out of the same year car just to make the sale....more than likely came out of a mustang with perhaps even with a different speedo gear

no it came out of an exact same style thunderbird that i put it in now they look exactly the same, same headlights, hoods, side panels on the doors, intake manifolds, same 96 sport rims, they are exactly the same
i wrecked the first thunderbird and pulled the engine and transmission myself they are both 96 4.6
i didnt buy the engine or transmission i already had it sitting in my garage i knew i was going to get another thunderbird

then might the tranny be internally damaged due to the wreck
and do i have to have the green light blinking to get the codes

You were getting these codes ever since the trans was replaced, right?
yea maybe even before beacuse i had an evap canister code that would come on and off but it hasnt popped up since the tranny swap

and for the engine i should check timing, fuel pump+fuel pressure regulator?
what about injectors?

someone told me it could possibly be the catalytic converters is that true?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'm sure you know that only the fancy Code Readers the Tranny guys or Ford has can read the Tranny Codes - Our Readers can't pull them - Before tearing into it I would have it read when O/D lite is blinking - My guess is replacement Tranny or your electrical installation of Tranny Harness has some "issues".

·
Registered
345 Posts
i did the tranny swap myself
in my driveway
a shop cost way too much

i think im about to take all the electronics from the old tranny and put it on this one

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm sure you know that only the fancy Code Readers the Tranny guys or Ford has can read the Tranny Codes - Our Readers can't pull them - Before tearing into it I would have it read when O/D lite is blinking - My guess is replacement Tranny or your electrical installation of Tranny Harness has some "issues".
i think thats what it is too
but the only thing i can think of is internal damage from the wreck or the connections are messed up
everything hooked up no problem i shouldnt have to repin the connectors

does anyone think not putting the driveshaft in exactly as it came out would affect things
because when i did it i marked it or tried to and pretty sure it went back in exactly the same but would issues arise if i didnt

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
Will an Xcal2 read tranny codes, while we are close to the subject? :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
not true. I had an O/d Blinking light once, the cod was due to high fluid temp, but is actually a bad sensor because the high fluid temp was showing up when it was -10 and cold started. went away when warm.

Anyway, I took the car to Mr Transmission and had them read the codes as per the same advice given above. I took it home, and borrowed my dads code reader, a CAN OBDII reader. it also read the same code just fine.

I don't know about ABS codes, but I was able to pull transmission codes with a regular scanner.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts