TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best intake to use when doing a pi swap on a 95 4.6, I was looking at the typhoon intake because it looks awesome and is all shi................... oh sorry shiny objects distract me any way it looks cool but I was wondering about performance because I read a post about a typhoon intake for the 5.0 and it makes me worry. any info is much appreciated. also I dont give a crap about hood clearance I will be doing a cowl induction hood so I will cut the stock hood if needed and brace it to make it close.

·
Registered
367 Posts
if u got the money do the bullitt intake a trickflow, but like was said earlier cheapest bet 99-04 pi intake, u can pick one up for $130-$250.

·
Registered
663 Posts
ive heard a few things about heat sink in these dat burned aluminum intakes. aluminum is very well known for its abilty to transfer heat. seen some dyno head to head runs on them vs stock pi. cold they pull just about even. hot they loose you 5-8 hp. not worth the money and the power for the shineyness IMO. if you want you could get some krylon plastic bonding spray paint and have that same appearance. :xpwink: jk

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
but its always nice to have a plastic intake when a backfire ripps thru the intake:D

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
ive heard a few things about heat sink in these dat burned aluminum intakes. aluminum is very well known for its abilty to transfer heat. seen some dyno head to head runs on them vs stock pi. cold they pull just about even. hot they loose you 5-8 hp. not worth the money and the power for the shineyness IMO. if you want you could get some krylon plastic bonding spray paint and have that same appearance. :xpwink: jk
running at identical inlet temps, at 6000 RPMs, my aluminum SVO intake was pullin in nearly 10% more air compared to the PI intake (28 #/min vs 30.55 #/min)......the SVO was not cooled down or anything, and the engine had been running at least 30 minutes with coolant temp within 2 or 3 degrees from the PI test......so i really dont know where you're getting a 5-8 HP loss.....all things equal and optimal, airflow is power...plain and simple

·
Registered
663 Posts
it was about the typhoon, i read it on crownvic.net like almost a year ago, there were pictures of his car doing the individual pulls and everything. maybe he goofed on the swap and messed somthing up... not sure. not my personal experience

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have heard the same thing about Typhoon on the Mustang boards. There seems to be agreement low end power is not as good as a PI. Typhoon makes more power above 6500 rpms on a stock PI engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts