TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, did not see if any one has posted this but....

FYI.... I just completed an engine swap in my son's 96 Cougar Sport. Original engine spun a bearing and trashed the connecting rod and cylinder wall.

When doing new gaskets all around, used FEL-PRO. After cleaning and assembling engine, installed and powered up, all was well.

Pressure tested cooling system...no issues. Brought it up to normal temp range, all still well.

Drove home from garage, smelled coolant burning under hood (did I spill some???) and found a tiny leak in behind #8 (cracked intake???). Released pressure, went to bed frustrated, got up and pulled intake. Intake itself was fine, no issues, FEL-PRO looked OK too. Called local dealer..."All the cab companies and the Police Department only use the Ford gaskets. Aftermaket ones have thinner seals..."

Sure enough, Ford gasket much thicker all around each opening. Re-bolted it, re-tested, no issues...

Called supplier...."You shoud have used silicone around the water outlets" was their reply. Told them that was not the case with Ford gaskets...

Anyhow...just hope this helps some one.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Wow, I have used both and never noticed a difference or had problems with either. I typically dont silicone anything with perma-dry style gaskets unless there is a joint there.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
When it comes to the business world, it's all about money. Ford has whoever will make their gaskets the cheapest, BUT at the quality level they require (they don't want to have to service a bunch of new vehicles they sell because of a gasket failure). Point being, sometimes aftermarket is a better product than Ford OEM, sometimes it isn't. I find it hard to believe that Fel-Pro made a gasket that is inferior to what Ford sells (which I believe is made by Victor-Reinz), but I am no expert by any means. I put my PI intake on with Fel-Pro and didn't have any problems with the sealing.

Sorry you had an issue, but I am glad you got it fixed. I hardly ever bash any brand because of one issue. Shoot, Ford made Edsels and Pintos but we still like Ford, right? I'm just saying....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Much agreed!!!

NetKeym...I have used Fel-Pro gaskets for more than 30 years in all my engine builds. Never a problem, just this first time.

Also my first 4.6 re-do...

Just wanted to share my trouble...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
My felpros and fords were identical perhaps the gasket was misaligned or dirt/debris was under the gasket, or maybe you suffer from a very small stress crack in the coolant passage of the intake you'd have to look with a flash light and a magnifying glass to see for certain, I usually find them on used intakes due to improper torque and sequence, sometimes they are still useable with some shifting and proper torque sometimes they aren't.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No intake issues...it sealed properly with the Ford gaskets. No debris of any type, pretty particular when I do my re-builds. Just a noticible difference in the gasket thickness.

Could have been just a lousy set from Fel-Pro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts