TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1996 4.6 Alpine Green Tbird
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
No I bought the car off a young kid named Josh in Hampstead NH he and his mother owned it after Larry had the car. A LOT of paperwork came with the car with Larry’s name and address a lot of spare parts and receipts for everything dating back to around 99. Found a lot of weird things under the seat. If you read this josh or Larry I hope you guys are doing well

·
Registered
2,162 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Actually, scratch what I said - screw the Dorman!

Oh, did I mention that it just started leaking at the rear left hand corner of the manifold? It took a while to find that one, finally saw with a mirror the coolant was dripping down on the cat, then on the ground.

It also had me convinced for a while that I had a major oil pan gasket leak because the coolant was mixing with grease. The jury is still out on whether or not that is leaking or not. It may be a little.

Al

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Crown Vics used the same intake. You need the coolant valley tube and the water pump nipple, it would be a good time to replace the water pump itself when that time comes. Other than that use the PI gasket set and use RTV on the coolant ports where they don’t quite match up.
So the valley tube is different? Is that even available new?

What is different with the water pump nipple? I don't remember the water pump having any connections on it, but it has been a while.

Thanks,
Al

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,620 Posts
So the valley tube is different? Is that even available new?

What is different with the water pump nipple? I don't remember the water pump having any connections on it, but it has been a while.

Thanks,
Al
Last I checked the tube is still available, it doesn’t have to be from a Mustang, Crown Vic ones work just the same, just need to run a little more hose.

The water pump nipple is what the valley tube is joined with, the stock nipple is a simple barb style fitting where you clamp a coupling hose to it and the stock valley tube. The PI nipple uses O rings instead that the PI tube simply slips over. PI intakes have deeper runners that interfere with the stock one.

·
Super Moderator
7,879 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have done numerous PI intake swaps without the proper coolant tube, and simply running 5/8” heater hose from the barb on the back of the water pump, off to the driver’s side of the valley under the manifold, and then up and out at the back and joining to the heater hose with a 5/8” adapter barb. I know it is technically not the right way, but I’ve never had it fail. My 97 has been that way for several years, and probably almost 30k miles.

Reactions: T6Rocket

·
Super Moderator
18,620 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have done numerous PI intake swaps without the proper coolant tube, and simply running 5/8” heater hose from the barb on the back of the water pump, off to the driver’s side of the valley under the manifold, and then up and out at the back and joining to the heater hose with a 5/8” adapter barb. I know it is technically not the right way, but I’ve never had it fail. My 97 has been that way for several years, and probably almost 30k miles.
Yeah more than one way to skin a cat, when I had the PI intake only I modified a PI tube cutting flaring the end so I could use the stock nipple and a hose section. The right parts are affordable and available though, worth doing if you plan to replace the water pump while you’re there.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Just running a hose is fine with me. Same amount of connections, right? But to do it right, I need the Crown Vic water pump? I can replace the pump, it's got 89k. But I would definitely get a Ford part.

The thing that makes me nervous is this "dab of sealant" in the corners for the mismatch of parts. But I would have to see it first. Do the ports pretty much match up? Do the heads need gasket matching?

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
96 Posts
I have this saved for when I get my car to stage 0. Same year of my car and everything. It talks about the deep runners and hose replacement. It is the best tutorial I have found.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just running a hose is fine with me. Same amount of connections, right? But to do it right, I need the Crown Vic water pump? I can replace the pump, it's got 89k. But I would definitely get a Ford part.

The thing that makes me nervous is this "dab of sealant" in the corners for the mismatch of parts. But I would have to see it first. Do the ports pretty much match up? Do the heads need gasket matching?

Thanks,
Al
PM sent to you.

I have everything you need to do a PI swap (intake) except the intake and the water pump nipple here in NH.
You are about 69 miles from me.
All my parts are brand-new or from an 02 Mustang GT that got a Vortex upgrade and look brand-new.

I know Bill at Supercouples, he had these parts after a job and passed them on to me at a fair price last year.

I am pulling my SOHC and going DOHC, so right now I am willing to sell the parts.
Once that engine comes out, it is highly likely that it will get a full PI upgrade and sit waiting for us to break the DOHC.
RD

·
Super Moderator
18,620 Posts

Thanks,
Al
You don’t need to replace the water pump, it’s just a good opportunity to do it since the coolant needs to be drained and if you did change the nipple the pump has to come out anyway. The best water pump replacement is any closed vane design, which is pretty much any 00s model 4.6, just make sure it has the long snout so you can use your stock pulley

21 - 31 of 31 Posts