TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the plastic intake manifold on my 97 TBird replaced because it is cracked around the thermostat housing and leaking a bit of coolant.

Dan at Joe Cooper has fixed me up with most all the parts I need for this swap. I am just replacing it with the stock metal version.
I have all the parts I think I need (intake, two gaskets, two o-rings, terminal kit, and a new bracket for the alt) except Dan tells me I will also need one bolt to finish everything up.
I am trying to find someone who can tell me what that bolt is so I do not need to go searching to far.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greenbird,
The list does not completely match up with what Dan sent me but I think it is close. I do not have the packing list here to check.
Would there be any chance you had a copy of that instruction sheet you could post or email to me?
Thanks,
James

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Royalblu said:
Thanks Greenbird,
The list does not completely match up with what Dan sent me but I think it is close. I do not have the packing list here to check.
Would there be any chance you had a copy of that instruction sheet you could post or email to me?
Thanks,
James
i dont think you really need an instruction sheet. its a direct swap. take everything off the old manifold, remove the old manifold, install the new manfold, put everything back on the new manifold. thats basically it in short.

Frank

·
Registered
333 Posts
Royalblu,
Did you ever get that new manifold installed. I followed your lead and contacted Dan too and have all the parts coming. Did you ever find an instrucuion sheet or where that mystery bolt goes? Thanks, Phil Swanson

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had my mechanic do the swap. The missing bolt ended up not being a big deal at all. He said everything went together real well. But he did not use the small O ring or the terminal insulator on the back of the alt.. He said he did not see the need in it.
It took him a little longer than he thought. About four and a half hours.

It goes without saying that you might as well replace the thermostat while you are in there.

So far everything is fine. I still have a faint smell of antifreeze when I shut off the car though. Just going to take some time to burn off I guess. At least it does not come in through the AC anymore like it did before.

Now if I could just get it to run a little cooler without having to do the rad. swap I will be happy.

Regards,
James
'97 Laser Red
aluminum intake (no more leak)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Royalblu said:

It took him a little longer than he thought. About four and a half hours.

Regards,
James
'97 Laser Red
aluminum intake (no more leak)
wow :ztoohot: 4.5hrs is helluva long time. my first one was done in 1.0 hrs and 2nd and was on my car was done in .75hrs. Mechanic must not be familiar with the 4.6.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cost of the parts ran less than $275 with the club discount.
Figure $200 or so labor depending on the skill of mechanic and his rates.

Since yesterday when I posted this I got a Check Engine light come on. Dropped it off at the mechanic and it is throwing codes like crazy. One cylinder missing and bank 2 cat needs replaced before my next smog check.
Called Dan and he can only get all three cats as one set. Cost is almost $1000.
Sure hope my local muffler shop can do better than that.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If one cat truly is bad, why cant you just buy one for like $100 or less and have it welded in?
If you could get the code #s its throwing, we might be able to be more helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts