TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just doesnt feel like it has a v8 under the hood. At the top end it has quite a bit of grunt but down low it feels pretty gutless. It wont peel-out from a start, unless i powerbrake and i cant get it to chirp from 1st to 2nd. When i first got the car it would chirp from 1st to 2nd ocassionaly but it doesnt do it anymore. I was wondering if this lack of power is normal or is something wrong with my car.

Thanks in advance

----Trevor

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
your car should never chirp into 2nd if the tranny is stock. That means the transmission is starting to die.

Factory, the 4.6 has a low stall converter, and at wot launches it retards the timing (decreases power) so it's not unusual that it doesnt peel out launching it.

If you get an SCT chip and marauder converter, you will wonder who's car your in, because it will feel totally different.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It would probably also help to give the car a complete tune up if this hasn't been done in awhile. ie, new plugs and wires, claen the MAF, change ALL fluids and filters (esp the fuel filter) maybe even run some sea foam through it. Just some thoughts. Oh and do the J mod and slap a tranny cooler on it and fill with Mercon V. Then you'll be able to chirp the 1-2 and have a little longer lasting tranny (if it isn't shot already)

Joe

·
Registered
132 Posts
whitecoug said:
...new plugs and wires...
I had a bad wire, felt like the umph was gone. Changed it and got the grunt back.

My mostly stock transmission chirps 1-2 and sometimes 2-3.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
What do you mean by mostly stock? If you haven't changed accumulators and springs, If you can chirp 2nd, I'd be willing to bet that your lower 1-2 spring is broken.

·
Registered
287 Posts
hey bro im feeling you, have a 95 cat with the 4.6, but my car barks second, and chirps third, but i have a shift kit, and about 600 bucks worth of engine mods, like cold air intake, and exhaust, but i still cant peal out from a dead stop, mabey a little slip when i cross the white line, but ya, our engine dosent have pushrods, and other stuff, so our power comes from the top end, really strong all the way through the upper rpms, and **** though the bottom, a supercharger would change that in a hurry, and if i were you id grab 3.55, or 3.73 rear gears, and a 3000 stall tq converter, with a custom bernt chip, that would help out alot, youd spin off the line like crasy, if thats what your looking for......

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
ditto on that, or the trannys on the way out, how many miles are on your car?

my old 94 V8 usta peel big time stomping it from a stand still, but i had some ghetto confuse the computer to make the car pepyer mods on it, and that thing had a fire light under its butt for some unknown reason, but yeah it usta chirp and the bottom spring was broken, thats probably why

·
Registered
287 Posts
hey guys, quick querstion, my oil pressure gague is showing my pressure abnout a needle length belob the n in normal, and it stays there, i dont know if thatts the gague or not, just wondering....(the gague does ride in the normal eveynow and then as well)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I'm approaching the 98,000 mark. To my knowledge the trans is stock. Last time I was at the dealer getting it serviced I asked the guy, whom I knew, to look at the TC because I thought it was going bad from bucking under hard throttle (which turned out to be the ignition wire) but he did something to the valve body to make it shift harder, it only chirps when I floor it. When I'm nice to it, the trans shifts a bit crispier than normal still smooth.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
infectrus said:
hey guys, quick querstion, my oil pressure gague is showing my pressure abnout a needle length belob the n in normal, and it stays there, i dont know if thatts the gague or not, just wondering....(the gague does ride in the normal eveynow and then as well)
The oil pressure gauge on our cars is just a glorified dummy light. You need to get a real oil pressure gauge to see what's really going on.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i have a stock 96 tbird, when i go wot it willnot chirp the tires, but if i go wot then let off and go wot again when it is at its shifting point it will chirp them, is this normal, i like doing it though, i like hearin it chirp em, i know i wont have to once i do the jmod

·
8,978 Posts
when a totally stock transmission chirps the tires that means there is a PROBLEM with the transmission.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I agree w/ Thomas.

And one of your FIRST mods should be a tranny cooler. Easy to install and does wonders for the transmission.

I can't chrip anything at all. If I floor it from a dead stop I get a very small tirespin that IMMEDIATLY catches (in like one turn of the wheel). Even with the 15s it was a small chirp, nothing huge.

The Jmod should definitely fix that, along with improving your transmission life greatly.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:

The oil pressure gauge on our cars is just a glorified dummy light. You need to get a real oil pressure gauge to see what's really going on.
Not to mention the gas gauge. Inaccuracy in its finest.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
it shows a problem but honestly at the miledges these cars have id save up for a new tranny, my old 94 did this but the bottom spring was no longer, thats why it chirped, it could be something simple like that

so, save up your 500 bucks and go get a tranny from a 93-98 mark 8, 96-98 mustang gt, or 96-97 tbird (although these have the crapy 12" TCs and the others dont) there all upgrades for those 94-95 guys

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
It's likely it's a accumulator spring...no need to go out and buy a whole new tranny just yet :leftright

Also you'd be stupid to spend $500 on any stock pre-98 4R70W when you can buy a lower mileage '01+ from a Vic for $300-400.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
the newer style trannies require a bit of modification to bolt up, i dont see why the older trannys are all that bad, those style 4r70ws, j-mod cooler, good for many many manyyyyyyy miles

basically bolting up the 99+ trannies, yes there cheaper, yes they come with the better VB, but these a diffrence in the way the speed sensor goes, i think theres a fix for it, but you also need to reuse all your old VB stuff like the MLPS and such, i just think its to complicated for me, but hell ya for other people, another great upgrade if you wanna put the time into it

·
8,978 Posts
put the time into it? too complicated? Let me tell you a story.

I boiught my 95 4.6 for 1500 dollars with a bad transmission. I called greanleaf and asked for a 98 mark 8 transmission. I got it for 800 shipped to my door. Mind you, this was after many hours of searching the baords and finding what a good transmission would be to choose.

With the help of the members of this board, I discovered I had to change the TCC solenoid (to a 95), change the MLPS and lever arm (to a 95) and redo the wiring harness. These things were all VERY easy to do, believe me. Before this project I'd never even touched a transmission, not even ONCE. I took the pan off and didnt know what ANYTHING was. With the help of a local member (whitecoug) and the tranny articles by A-Train and The Man, I got the J-Mod done. And this transmission ahs been everything and more for me. Manual shifting, stiff shfits, it's wonderful, and I got a LOT of experience out of the whole thing.

Not to mention, the 98+ transmissions have the updated springs, accumulator pistons, valvebody, more clutch packs, and a higher stall torque converter. All very good things.

-Thomas

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
When my transmission finally calls it quits again (2nd time), I will not waste my money on a pre-98 tranny again. In fact, if I can swing it, I'll be calling TFHS to get me a real transmission.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
well i was only saying maybe some people it might get complicated, i like the pre 98 trannies myself, mine runs like a friging beast, and i dont even know why it hasnt blown up, maybe its that big ol black b&m up front, who knows, and my old 94 tranny uncooled was still kicking at 150k, no real service to it

im not trying to start a whole older tranies are better kinda thing, im just saying its a bolt up thing, but yeah puting that stuff on the newer trannies is probably easy, but i dont know ive never done one

1 - 20 of 21 Posts