TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the specification for head flatness for the 4.6 liter, 1996 engine? I have to replace the head gaskets after overheating from intake manifold failure and I don't want to reinstall a defective head. Also, if you have the block flatness spec., I would appreciate that.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Cylinder Head Warpage Limit:
0.003 (in any 6 inches)
0.006 overall

But that is from the Haynes manual I happen to have with me at work. I would double check those numbers against the appropriate OEM manual/CD.

And you know about not reusing the head bolts and that the block and heads need to be very smooth due to the special head gaskets, correct? :beek:

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the reason I had to ask for this information is because I spent about an hour perusing the official Ford manual for this car and could not find flatness specification. I've found all kinds of specs. but none for flatness.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Wow! That is kind of scary! I thought for sure it was listed in the OEM manual somewhere. But if not, then I don't know. I'm not a real fan of the "accuracy" of aftermarket manuals (ever since I twisted off a main cap bolt on a 351W due to a "typo" in a Clymer's manual.... :redmad: )

Maybe someone with more documentation will chime in. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts