TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm doing my research on possible Engine and Trans Combinations for my T bird.i found my Transmission what i want to use now i want to find the perfect Engine
What i like to know is why the 4.6 DOHC is not very popular around here
,compared to Pi swaps or whole Engine swaps like Explorers etc

why is the 4v version of the 4.6 family not realy desirable ??

Is it the price or the size or the lack of Performance parts ??

or is the engine not so street friendly ??

what would be a very good combination,like 94 Mark 8 Block and maybe 03 Aviator Heads or the whole Aviator Engine

coyote swap is out of question to much dollars needed

thanks guys for the help

hoschy

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,051 Posts
I made it more complicated than it needed to be, so don’t be too discouraged from my thread. The reason 4Vs aren’t more popular is the most widely available version is the Mark VIII engine and the power gain isn’t very impressive and the low end torque is weak, you’re better off PI over Mark VIII 4V. Other issues are exhaust manifolds/headers and intake manifolds, most of which won’t clear the hood. The Aviator longblocks are great, that’s what mine is, but you’re even more limited on exhaust and intake options.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have 2 MN12's with the DOHC, a Cougar with the auto and a Thunderbird with a stick. If you go to the "cars for sale" forum here on TCCOA and search DOHC, you'll see that quite a few have been done and sold thru the years. I's getting harder to find donner Mark VIIIs, but that would be the first hurdle. The hardest part of putting in a DOHC is the installation. If you have access to a lift that will help greatly, you could take it out the bottom. I don't, so I have to do it in order, 1. pull the exhaust. 2. pull the gas tank. 3. pull the driveshaft. 4.pull the transmission. 5. pull the steering shaft. 6. pull the engine. Installation is reverse steps. If you know how to eat an elephant, it can be done.
Read ya later, Nick

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys
First things first,thanks for your help!!!
Now let me get some more inside information.
I can get 2 Lincoln mark engines and also could get 2 aviator engines.
The question here is which one would be better mark or aviator?? I know the aviators have 300 hp from the factory with 10.0 to 1 compression ratio,I also think the cams are different compared to the mark.Is there someone who knows a little bit about if there are different or not?? Headers and intake is not my problem if I have to fab something that's fine.The real reason why I'm trying to figure out what these dohc's can do or don't is the aviator engine if I get it myself out is dirt cheap and would fit the 6r80 without major headache .The marks are a little bit more expensive but shipped to my door or I can pick one up.
What do you guys think would be the best way??

Thanks guys for trying to help me out,is really appreciated.

Hoschy

·
Super Moderator
17,051 Posts
The Aviator is definitely the better longblock, but the Mark VIII swap is definitely the best way to get a 4V under the hood to avoid excess time/money/hassles.

But ...Aviator needs a lot of odds and ends, you need a mark oil pan, Mark VIII HO oil pickup tube, 03+ headers or manifolds (93-02 heads have smaller oval ports and headers designed for them will kill flow), and the coolant crossover/thermostat/heater hose setup is a mess, and the power steering pump is in a different spot so you'll also need to make or move the high pressure and reservoir lines. I converted mine to use Mustang parts for the coolant lines and an explorer filter adapter in lieu of swapping timing covers and relocating the steering pump to the stock location(which makes filter access a piece of cake) but I had to really cobble together radiator hoses to accomplish that. You also need return fuel rails, which aren't exactly easy to find for 99-04 Cobra/Mach 1 intakes, which is really what you need to make it sing.

Unless you did a conversion your transmission is a 4R70w, not a 6R80, but either way both engines bolt up the same, both use 6 bolt flexplates.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
Autsch that's a lot to take in,I guess I really got some thinking to do.
A couple months ago I got my hands on a 6r80 which is awesome,the trans is the same like what I have in my mustang daily driver,so much fun to drive.
The T bird is a 93 and just a shell so I can put in whatever I want.just trying to figure out what and the how.
Thanks' so much

Hoschy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys
I get to the point where 351 or eco super coupe doesn't to bad at all
I have a 351W laying around,but would need machine work.finding a cheap ecoboost is not so easy.
Well I got all winter to simmer over it.

Hoschy

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
A rebuild kit for a 351 is Chevy cheap, compared to a DOHC swap, lol.

:)

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
The 351 would have the best exhaust tone as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seriously, If thinking 351 and don't mind time and a bit of $$.
The hot build I was doing for the track cars is a 351 Clever >:)
This build uses a 351-Windsor bottom end with 351-Cleveland 2bbl heads. Makes tons of power, and It's very simple to do just have machine shop do the plugging of the coolant passage on the bottom of the heads. The new passage on intake side you can drill yourself. The intake you can get from Ford, Summit, Jegs, Speedway.....
There is a reason the parts are all available directly from ford , Hell Brodix , AFR , TFS and Edelbrock all make the heads already to bolt up no mods needed.
AS far as bottom end goes its all the same you can go as far as you want depending on how fast you want to spin it up, or how much power adder you want to put in. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
7,528 Posts
The Clevor motor was great in the 80s, but it is outdated now. The only reason that came about was because there were no good Windsor heads that at all matched the performance of the factory Cleveland heads. Now, with so many aftermarket Windsor heads that flow as well or better than the Cleveland heads, all a Clevor does now is severely limit your intake manifold options, so a full Windsor build is going to be cheaper and make more power.

·
Super Moderator
17,051 Posts
The Clevor motor was great in the 80s, but it is outdated now. The only reason that came about was because there were no good Windsor heads that at all matched the performance of the factory Cleveland heads. Now, with so many aftermarket Windsor heads that flow as well or better than the Cleveland heads, all a Clevor does now is severely limit your intake manifold options, so a full Windsor build is going to be cheaper and make more power.
Those sexy cleveland valve covers though...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
Damn, that IS sexy.

And you can put your hand on the pipes, between the shock towers, lol.

Try that with a mod motor. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For some reason I like the dohc idea,well is there set of cams what could be used to bring more bang to the lower rpm range ,like from a navigator,or the continental.
I have here all kinda Lincolns with dohc available,pick and pull yards are loaded
Frankenstein something together is not a big deal,what would be a good combination???

Thx
Hoschy

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
Aftermarket cams are pricy, but Comp Cams sell them. :)

And MMR:
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=42

The only real difference is duration, there's so much wall area, increasing lift beyond stock isn't nearly as effective.

A set of 96 Cobra cams is as good as it gets, stock.

I got a set of heads off a conti, with the XR3E cams, but that was really lucky.

You know, I found out last night that the two end ports are much bigger (volume) than the rest, without any mods; it's just the way they're cast.

Nick McKenney quote: (actually from na svt)
If you are going to go 4V find a 99+ Continental and take the heads complete. Degree the cams to 106-108 intake and leave the exhaust at 110 (the conti intake cams are bigger than the Marks), it will require a serious mod to the secondary gears to do this. Combine with a Mach 1 intake and thats as good as it gets without spending serious cash.

NA SVT: The 96-98 intake cams will make about 20 more hp than the MAch intakes (cams). The difference between the 96-98s and the 99s is only 2 deg so the power difference is also little.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts