TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and welcome to " did I screw this up?"
THAT'S RIGHT.. the thread that we knew should have been here, but were too cool to ask, I finally ask..
'Hey! Did I screw this up?'
Somewhere I read, I could replace the metal hose that runs thru the valley under the intake manifold, with heater hose. Run the heater house out the front of the engine, loop it back around to the heater core.

Um.. engines get hot. I'm not certain that a long section of heater hose running under my intake manifold can withstand the heat of the engine block, even though, the hose IS heater core hose, just longer. Did I screw this up? ( knowing that I will have to pull off the intake manifold to replace the mod if it IS screwed..)

Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
The heat wouldn't concern me, as I doubt it gets much hotter than the coolant itself. What would concern me is if the hose is pinched or rubbing on something, will it eventually rub through and leak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just your standard 4.6 2V.... with a cast aluminium intake manifold, and the plenum mounted center mass, and the extreme rear of the manifold. Just so the firewall, the valence and everything attached or near, could ALSO be cumbersome when oh, changing a heater core hose, or perhaps, reconnecting the EGR tube to valve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today's subject, EGR TUBES.
In my haste to get my intake manifold installed, I seemed.to have snapped.off one orifice on my tube, and also have stretched the tube ( it accordions out ,not so well at back in). The replacement tube is A: made of hardened steel and B: too short to connect from exhaust manifold to EGR valve as.designed.
An added feature, the two orifices on the new tube, would stab into the back.of the block if.installed as it is pre-bent. Yes, I got.my money back ,no I don't want to.deal.with them.Any more, yea the let.me.keep.the part.
I need the Car to pass smog. My thought it to cut th e.existing brass pipe just under.the.orifices, slide.The.nut.down ,flare the.end, then couple the.new.tube to th would tube, male to female, and then to.The valve. What do you think?

·
Banned
575 Posts
in my old cougar which I took to the track almost every other weekend I ran a heater hose under the intake and for about 2 or 3 years I never had a problem and even ended up parting out the car but it worked just fine the entire time I used it just make sure your intake does not pinch or rub the hose

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. The under intake coolant pipe to heater hose conversion is holding up well. It's my clamps that have failed which I replaced.
New issue, vacuum leak... I think I've hooked up the EGR back pressure transducer backwards because I'm getting NO power and sputtering .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts