TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a couple of things going on here and I will do my best to explain events leading up to the issues. So I have a 97 xr-7 4.6, one day at random it started running rough. No problem, changed spark plugs ran fine for a day and started to run like crap again. After worrying that I purchased poor plugs (iridum at .060 I believe) I changed the plugs and went to factory motorcraft and changed the plug wires at the same time. Removed the intake and cleaned out the EGR Port. Changed the fuel filter. Replaced the EGR valve with a brand new one. cranked it and it ran just fine with no problems. Parked it for maybe an hour to cut grass, went to move the car and now it wont crank. I started to think maybe it was leaky injectors because I found residual gas in the intake when I removed it to clean. So I held the pedal to the floor and boom it cranks. WELLLLLLL now there is another problem to add. If I let it run after cranking it that way, it overheats after a while. Never had any issues with the car. has 160k miles. I don't wanna throw tons of money at it just to find out it was a simple fix. anyone know what the H#%$ is going on with it?

My guesses from reading,
-CRM forgot to note that my electric fan will not come on even if the ac is on
-Leaky Injectors
-MAF Sensor (however, I cleaned this and it runs fine when it eventually cranks from holding down the pedal)
-Temp sensors?
-Fuel pressure regulator

HELP!!

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I’m betting cracked intake leaking coolant into the spark plug wells.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do they typically crack? I am guessing that is a common issue? does not explain why the ac fan wont come on..
also, wouldn't it run rough after cranking if water was leaking into the plugs?

·
Administrator
8,210 Posts
Where do they typically crack?
At the front of it, there will be a couple of sensors in the area where it will crack. Check to see if it's all plastic or has an aluminum crossover.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which one sends signal to tge EEC? Noticed the one on the passenger side has a broken clip. Possible it broke loose. Picked up a replacement on the way home but dont know which one I should start with. Guess I should have bought two haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update! I can post some pictures later if it would help anyone. I don't know if it is a common issue but the coolant temp sensor has seemed to fix the overall issue. The car seems to be running great and is not overheating. When I took the old coolant temp sensor off, it literally fell in half.... corrosion had totally eaten it up. How it was standing upright still is beyond me. Still a low coolant light on in the car. I am guessing that the other sensor goes to the car so I should change that one too?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep checked the coolant level and everything looks good. I am thinking that the two sensors were bad and I only replaced one. From what I understand from reading around, the one that goes to the computer is the one I replaced. The one that goes to the gauges was not replaced and could be what is causing it to say low coolant. I will be checking later to see what happens. Still can not figure out why this electric fan wont kick on.... guess I will be going to the junk yard to try and find a ICRM and see if that works.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Low coolant light is triggered by a sensor in the plastic overflow tank.

Try turning on the A/C to see if the fan will kick on. A lot faster than waiting for the coolant to warm up to 210 deg, or whatever the fan kick on point is.

Al

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Low coolant light is triggered by a sensor in the plastic overflow tank.

Try turning on the A/C to see if the fan will kick on. A lot faster than waiting for the coolant to warm up to 210 deg, or whatever the fan kick on point is.

Al
Didn't think to check that sensor. I turned on the ac full blast yesterday evening and the fan still would not come on....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts