TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey what do you guys think is better the 5.0 or 4.6 motor and far as reliablity, price of performance parts, speed, torque

·
Registered
850 Posts
The 4.6 seems to be more reliable and pretty close to the same power output(NPI) as the 5.0 but performance parts for the 5.0 are alot cheaper so you will be able to get more power for cheaper and the parts are very easy to come by.
I hope I didn't confuse you.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
MY OPINION:

I will take a 4.6 over a 5.0!

I feel that the 4.6 is a much better motor. It has closer tolerences and what not. I feel it is more reliable and will last longer too.

As for upgrades, well the 5.0 has a larger aftermarket, but the 4.6 is starting to pick up. The 5.0 will make power cheaper.

One thing to note, they REPLACED the 5.0 with the 4.6.... they stayed with it.... and have had great results!

It is more advanced than the 5.0. It has less moving parts. And IMO sounds better. Smaller yet makes more power in stock forms. Take the last 5.0 produced and put it up against the current 4.6 (98 Explorer 5.0 vs the current 3v 4.6). It took around 38 years to get the 5.0 where it was in 98 and about 15 to get the 4.6 where it is today.

BTW, I have nothing against 5.0, great motors. I just simply like 4.6's better!

;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts