1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would u rather have? and why?

i thought there was a thread doing around but can find it

could maybe grab a 93 5.0 150K mi, trade it for my 94 4.6

know parts are everywhere and cheap for the 5.0 but with the newer technology of the 4.6 wuts a better engine?

dean

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
ultimately, its gonna be your decision....i think deep down you already prefer one over the other ;)

a good place to start would be to ask you: what are your specific goals (power, 1/4 mi, road racing, etc) and what constraints will/might possibly affect you from reaching your goals (time, money, intellect, ingenuity, patience, etc) ?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
+1 one for 5.0 i think its a better engine, more possible power overall with less dollars involved. easier for maintence as well, if a head gasket goes on a 5.0 you dont have to tear the front end off along with the head , tons and tons of aftermarket that is adapatable to the car

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a DD right now with my 3.8 and i have my 94 4.6 for project/summer car. but i want something i can dive into and i think the 5.0 will be easier to work on with cheaper parts like jk89cat said.

more possible poer with less money involved is always a good thing.

the 5.0 is the same engine as the 5.0 stangs right? u can basicaly build an 80's stang right out of a catalog with all the parts they offer.

thanks fo the input. any other opinions are more than welcome.

Dean

·
Registered
451 Posts
For me, Ive been a 5.0 guy since Ive learned to drive and before, my first car was a 5.0 with 125,00 miles on it, I beat the heck (mind you i was 16) out of that car everyday of its darn life, it never blew a head, no leaks (out of the norm) that engine was a darn trooper, Ive owned alot of Lincolncs, all with the 5.0 HO, those engines run run and run more, well granted you have to service it, I prefer the 5.0 just cause of the way its layed out, easy to work on for the most part, parts are very common, not that bad in price, hella easy to mod, easy bolt ons, 4.6s are great dont get me wrong but Im just a 5.slo guy I guess...they have never disappointed me yet. Only thing I wish is that it could handle more horses...like the 4.6..but other then that no complaints.

Yes there the same engines that are in foxes and Lincoln Mark VIIs...;)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea thic sar has 153K mi on a93, are the 5.0's known for having anything wrong with them? like bad tranny's like the 4.6's and the headgaskets for the 3.8's?

says the tranny shifts fine but i have yet to look at it. i was gona trade my 94 4.6 with 112K

what u guys think?

just going from what i want a car for and this deal juts looking for some input. im a do-it-yourselfer so id want to work on the car but dont want to replace any tranny's minor engine would would be fun to do and learn from.

just wondering if the 5.0 cars hd any known problems.

thanks

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
basically what car is more fun? lol

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
4.6 all the way. better technology and can make just as much, and more power then the 5.slOOOOOOOOOOw

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
VicRattlehead said:
4.6 all the way. better technology and can make just as much, and more power then the 5.slOOOOOOOOOOw
And get better mileage to boot. Imagine if the 4.6 actually had a comparable aftermarket to that of the 5.0.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This is the way I look at it:

Stock for stock - 4.6
mild/everyday mods - personal preference, id choose 4.6
all out performance on a buget - 5.0
all out performance with no major budget - personal preference, id take 4.6

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im for performance as much as buget allows being in college. so im leaning toward the 5.0. i like the idea of plentiful parts and cheap.

i go performance first, then make it look decent lol

any other opinions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts