TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i need some help.i gotta fix the oil consuption problem in my parents 95 vic . its got 130k on it. it still runs good. imo its not worth opening up to see whats bad. its using almost 2 quarts of oil every 2k :eek: puffs blue at start up . clears up as you start driving though . i have priced doign the explorer swap and a 99 towncar swap . i can get the towncar for 850-900 i can get a explorer for 1,200 . what do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
How much oil can you buy for $1000? :D :leftright

IMHO, before I started swapping a new engine I would look for leaks (it won't always be on the ground) and try some "high mileage" oils.

Then if that doesn't fix anything and you don't find any leaks... I still wouldn't worry about it until I had another problem. :D

Keep in mind I have 270K on my 94 and before I fixed all the "oozing" and leaks I was using about 2 qts per 2K miles. Now I'm at about 1.25 qts per 3K miles. :D

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that helps,it looks dry. but this has been and off and on problem for the last 10k

·
Registered
105 Posts
My '95 4.6 has used a about 1 QT every 3K since around 50K miles. I've owned it for about 6.5 years. It now has about 104K. I used some high mileage oil and that helped some. I think my problem is in the heads. Just an idea...

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
It's a very common problem with the 94-95 motors but it really doesn't cause problems. Mine started using 2 quarts every 3000 at 80,000 and I drove it till it had 200,000 on it

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're really concerned. Do a drip test and/or compression test on the motor. If that's good and you're still worried - pull the heads and put in valve seals. That would be cheaper than another motor! ;)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
timb said:
It's a very common problem with the 94-95 motors but it really doesn't cause problems. Mine started using 2 quarts every 3000 at 80,000 and I drove it till it had 200,000 on it

so it wouldnt effect the Catylitic(SP) converters at all with the continous build up of oil in them?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
err. its almost easier to swap out the engine than open up a 4.6 . well in my experience. i wouldnt feel right bandaiding a 130k engine is the other issue there. i would have to lean with with the 99 engine. due the air inlet posistion and all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
jk89cat said:
err. its almost easier to swap out the engine than open up a 4.6 . well in my experience. i wouldnt feel right bandaiding a 130k engine is the other issue there. i would have to lean with with the 99 engine. due the air inlet posistion and all.
True....there are lots of advantages with the '99

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
slight update. it has a oil pan leak and a rh valve cover/ poss head gasket. so i am going to go and fix those 2 before i condem the engine. it still runs excellent.

i dont feel so bad sticking money in it, it's earned it . 130k with my dad neglecting it for the last 70k :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Glad you found some leaks. :thumbsup:

Another place that is VERY common to leak is the seal between the block and the oil filter adapter. :beek:

Often it will leak there and look like a pan gasket leak. The gaskets on the pans are pretty "healthy". :D

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i hadnt looked underneath it, i had it in the air at my friends shop, while rebuilding the front suspension and was a little shocked. my moms dealership she worked at said there was no leaks. and this thing has been leaking so bad that the front of the tranny pan is soaked! the oil filet gasket is ok, i know all about those. thats dry .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts