TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a search on eBay, and found a few CompCams that you can see here . Looks like a few cams may be available for our engines. I know you won't gain "as much" with the nasty 94-95 heads, but there should still be a different power curve/more power than stock. Anyone know anything about swapping in any of these cams?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm stealing this thread..... First off thats a lot of money for nothing more than a set of cams.....

Secondly... Are the Cam Journals the same size for the Windsor and Romeo's and how abou those in comparison with the new PI heads??? ( cam journal size again )

I would assume that they are probly the same But I don't know thats why I'm asking....

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I do believe that conventional wisdom has been that ford has come up with a pretty good cam and most "improved " grinds have taken the power up at the cost of practical power band for a streeter, and also vacuum and smoothness issues that an all out racer wouldnt have the same concerns with.... the flow characteristics of the heads has been improved by a lot of "tuners" useing a flow bench and lots of practical experience in porting and polishing the modular heads of all persuasions.... 5 years ago, MM&FF magazine did an article on porting and polishing, and came up with the conclusion that the 2v head was impossible to improve with p&p'ing and in order to do any good at all the material removed would make parts of the head dangerously thin.... How far we have come.... I suggest you send a set of heads to renegade, or Fox lake, or Livernois for a valve job, and P&P'ing and youll have somethingt youll really like, and save money in the long run, 'cause why are they selling those cams on Ebay? LOL

·
Registered
529 Posts
Cam journals are the same head to head to head.

I'd have to say cam tech has come a long way too. Yes, I've got a loping idle with my ModMax's, but its still 100% streetable, sounds mean as heck, and gives me the great numbers I have.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
The OE ford cams haeve ZERO overlap on the intake to exhaust transition,and this has alot to do with emmisions requirements.This also hinders power output signifigantly.
The new Comp Cams grinds have very nice profiles available,and I've seen nothing but good results out of them.Duration is where power is at..alot of the Mustang crowd are too centered on the lift of the cam..but I'll tell you now...if the heads flow well at mid-low lift,then a set of lower lift cams with a decent amount of duration will be quite powerful,while keeping the safety factor there to prevent spring breakage.These Modulars are quite rough on springs when you start having to ramp up the valve speed to reach that huge lift value that the valve is at for only a fraction of a second...it's not worth the headache for and extra .050" lift when you can just keep it open at a lower lift for a longer amount of time.
They're good cams...And I'll own a set in the near future..but I'll be buying mine from a reputable dealer(Modularperformance.com)for a mere $20-$30 more....I know I'll be taken care of buying from Mike and John.
JL

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool info Johnny... I had thought they would, but I was looking for some feedback. Could be a realitively easy mod, although expensive.

Chad... those numbers are sick! Please tell me that is not naturally aspirated!

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Johnny Langton said:
The OE ford cams haeve ZERO overlap on the intake to exhaust transition,and this has alot to do with emmisions requirements.This also hinders power output signifigantly.
The new Comp Cams grinds have very nice profiles available,and I've seen nothing but good results out of them.Duration is where power is at..alot of the Mustang crowd are too centered on the lift of the cam..but I'll tell you now...if the heads flow well at mid-low lift,then a set of lower lift cams with a decent amount of duration will be quite powerful,while keeping the safety factor there to prevent spring breakage.These Modulars are quite rough on springs when you start having to ramp up the valve speed to reach that huge lift value that the valve is at for only a fraction of a second...it's not worth the headache for and extra .050" lift when you can just keep it open at a lower lift for a longer amount of time.
They're good cams...And I'll own a set in the near future..but I'll be buying mine from a reputable dealer(Modularperformance.com)for a mere $20-$30 more....I know I'll be taken care of buying from Mike and John.
JL
Lets say a person purchases ModMax or Comp Cams bump sticks. Would the purchase of new valve springs be needed? I saw in either MM&FF or 5.0 & Super Fords some new 'beehive' type springs for modulars (unless I'm smoking). Overkill in this situation?

And for those, like myself that have 'workable heads,' is it worth going to such an aftermarket grind, or is the PI cam (higher lift) good enough? (This is with the stock heads, no P&P or anything else). I know you had success with just swapping cams, hence the question.

Not entirely dumb questions...just to squeeze some more info out of you... :D

(if you don't mind sharing, of course. :leftright )

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
66dvlbrd68 said:
Lets say a person purchases ModMax or Comp Cams bump sticks. Would the purchase of new valve springs be needed? I saw in either MM&FF or 5.0 & Super Fords some new 'beehive' type springs for modulars (unless I'm smoking). Overkill in this situation?

And for those, like myself that have 'workable heads,' is it worth going to such an aftermarket grind, or is the PI cam (higher lift) good enough? (This is with the stock heads, no P&P or anything else). I know you had success with just swapping cams, hence the question.
Yes,the new Comp spings are beehives,so are the stock '96-up springs.
The OE springs are good up to approx .540" lift..at a low duration like the OE cams..and have a light spring seat load..so they're not good for much above 5500 rpms,and a trip or two to 6500rpms and they're done..
You'll want a new set of springs for any performance cam-just be wary of any cams that have more than .525" lift..I'm not convinced that even these new Beehive springs from Comp are able to handle those kinds of valve ramp speeds for a long time without breaking.
Chad's cams are rather aggressive..I'll not disclose the spec-I'll leave him to do that if he wants..but he knows exactly what I'm worried about with high lift and possible spring breakage.
You can't go wrong with a cam that has a healthy amount of duration..just don't get to aggressive or your vacuum will be too low for proper function of the brake booster,etc...
JL

·
Registered
529 Posts
JL's right with the cams. I broke a valve spring not 500 miles into the new motor. To top it all of it broke at 1400 RPM while i was taking off from a stop sign. :rolleyes: And my cams are the STREET version, not even race. Luckily I have no vacuum problems with such an agressive cam.

And fzrdan, i've got a Vortech S-Trim to help me with my numbers. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts