4.6 radiator upgrade

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  CrystalPistol 
#1 ·
are there any radiators out there that will look factory stock but have a 2 row
core for a little more capacity in a 96 4.6 cougar or tbird?--irv

#2 ·
the post locations get weirder all the time

#3 ·
Well its been 8 years, but since you posted this the 03 Cobra radiator swap has become pretty popular, but it is an all-aluminum radiator. The stock one in your bird has plastic tanks.
-Rob

#4 ·
i was reading that one but i wanted to retain the stock look. guess
ill leave it alone. it doesnt overheat.just looking for options

#5 ·
if you have the cash griffen is the way to go.

#8 ·
Also note that if you go with the 03 Cobra rad. (not sure on the one Alan mentioned) that you MUST get an external transmission cooler, as the Cobra rad. does not have the intregal heat-exchanger that the stock one does.

I have a Cobra rad in my 95, and it works great. Fits ok w/ some modifying of the stock mounts (flip the top ones upside down). Downside is it won't hold up to running over a deer :D

Personally, I would install an external cooler anyways, just to help that 4R live a longer life. Otherwise you may be talking to Alan about more than a rad. in the near future, lol...

Jay

#9 ·
Cobra Radiator

I also have a 1995 Ford Thunderbird with a 2003 Cobra Radiator in it. I put the original fan/shroud back on with a large tranny cooler strapped to the radiator (the Cobra has no internal automatic tranny cooler). When you look under the hood, you cannot tell it is not stock. You can't see the cooler because of the radiator support and condenser in front. The only way you can tell is the tanks are not plastic and the radiator is slightly wider (and taller) and I had to cut a half inch corner from the battery tray for clearance, but that is not noticable by the untrained eye.

I honestly believe the only way you could tell is if you put a stock '95 next to mine and LOOKED for the differences they are so slight. BTW, this was a required upgrade for me as my car would not stop overheating in the 100* plus heat here in the summer.

#10 ·
98 degrees, I made a stop, wife and dog in car, I let it run with AC on while I ran into store. Told wife to watch Scan Gague II temp, it ran up to 202 once, stayed nearer 200 while ore for near 30 minutes.

Runs 196-198 going down the roadway.

Stock '95 4,6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.