TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm buying an engine to swap into my Cougar. The car runs fine, so I'm going to take this chance to rebuild the motor that's going in the car. The intent is just to freshen it up, rings, bearings, valve seals, etc. What's the best source for rebuild parts for these motors? Is there anything else that is a known problem that I should consider addressing while I'm in there? The "new" motor only has 40,000 miles on it.

Mike

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Toombs said:
Alright, so I'm buying an engine to swap into my Cougar. The car runs fine, so I'm going to take this chance to rebuild the motor that's going in the car. The intent is just to freshen it up, rings, bearings, valve seals, etc. What's the best source for rebuild parts for these motors? Is there anything else that is a known problem that I should consider addressing while I'm in there? The "new" motor only has 40,000 miles on it.

Mike
I've been working on a rebuild for my 94 and I'll say this: I'll NEVER again rebuild a 4.6L unless I'm going radical. The PITA of having to buy new bolts for everything plus all the special tools required just makes it not worth it. :mad:

(And I've built many engines ranging from supercharged 351C's to Turbo 2.3L's) :D

If I were going to just "freshen" up an 4.6L, I would buy a low mileage, late model 4.6L and just drop it in.

With only 40K on the new engine, if you're comfortable with knowing its history, I would just drop it in and be done with it. Remember that these engines last forever (277K on my 4.6L). :thumbsup:

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my problem...I know nothing of it's history, since I bought (or I should say am buying) it through a broker for many salvage yards. I know that it's low milage, and its running with a 6 month warranty on parts. I'm not planning on doing the swap for two more months though, so I thought I'd go through it on the stand first and check everything out. Could you elaborate slightly on the problems you've encountered? I've built a lot of engines in my time too, but never a mod motor! Any insight or personal experience is appreciated from all.

Mike

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Toombs said:
That's my problem...I know nothing of it's history, since I bought (or I should say am buying) it through a broker for many salvage yards. I know that it's low mileage, and its running with a 6 month warranty on parts. I'm not planning on doing the swap for two more months though, so I thought I'd go through it on the stand first and check everything out. Could you elaborate slightly on the problems you've encountered? I've built a lot of engines in my time too, but never a mod motor! Any insight or personal experience is appreciated from all.

Mike
No problem, and as you requested: :D
Here's what you get to buy to just "open" the engine and inspect bearings/rings/etc:
New Head Bolts
New Main Bolts
New Cross Bolts
New Rod Bolts
New Head Gaskets (which if the head/deck isn't properly "finished" they might blow) (Research 4.6L head gaskets on the web)

This is what you get to buy to reassemble the engine:
Cam holding tools
Cam aligning tools
Angle gauge for the Torque to Yield Bolts

Other than that, it is just a “standard” engine rebuild using normal techniques for tolerances and cleanliness. The actual rebuild isn’t anything special, but rather all the stinking bolts that are torque to yield and can’t be used a second time. I assembled my engine but didn’t properly finish the block, so I’m pulling the heads and installing an aftermarket gasket that is designed to work on a “not perfect” finished head/engine. And just to do that I had to spend the money for the head bolts… Grrrrrr :mad:

I love building engines, but unless someone comes out with reusable bolts (besided of course ARP ($$$)) I will probably just get a low mileage engine and go that route. And with the PI engines getting more and more available and cheaper, which is really the directions someone should go. But that’s just my opinion. :D

Just thought I’d share my experiences. :D

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Why not put in a 03/04 explorer engine on it??? Less hassle, newer engine and more powerful...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Toombs said:
How's your mark run, by the way? Just curious. So where did you buy all your fasteners? Did you order them from a dealer or what? I am having trouble locating them...
The Mark runs great. It's no speed deamon, but it's still pretty fun (14.8 is my best time so far :D ) It is so nice and "refined", but will embarass a lot of cars...

As far as fasteners, I went with the dealership using the discounts that come with TCCoA. There are a couple of dealerships that give us great discounts and a search will let you know who to contact.

And I'll second TX_Cat about the Explorer engine. But if you're already buying the one you mentioned, I would just slap it in and be done with it. Or at least pop the valve covers and the oil pan, just to make sure there aren't any "pieces" laying around. And the condition of the "innards" as far as oil sludge will also give you an idea of the condition.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Just curious what 2V takeout you are buying that has "more" cam than an explorer motor. To the best of my knowledge all PI cams are the same. I second the just slap it in and run it opinion. I have put 60K on my junkyard explorer motor so far 30K with a blower.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Toombs said:
Not more cam, more cams, as in four. It was a joke. I bought a DOHC. Hence the Mark question....

Mike
You should have mentioned that in the first place!

If you're doing the DOHC swap, and it's from an early year, you should upgrade the secondary chain tensioners to the later style. Or just live with the rattle upon startup.

But if you're going to do that, then you will need the tools to hold the cams. And they are different and more expensive than the SOHC version.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm looking into doing an engine rebuild or just a whole different engine. What I would like to know is, what's some info on these PI engines and what cars are they put in? Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is that greenleafauto.com? If so, I looked up an 4.6L engine assy. for a 1996 or newer mustang. It came up with a few results, the one that stands out to me is a 1999 ford mustang 4.6l with only 1,000mi. for $1,059, and that's including shipping and six months warranty. If thats not a typo I just might have to look into getting me a new engine.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
That is not a typo. My copmplete explorer motor with 5 miles on it was $1000 I also bought my 02 trans from them for $650 shipped. The first one was damaged in transit and they sent out a replacement no questions asked. In short I would recommend doing business with them.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
That's a good price, their prices on PI 4.6 engines has been going up over the last twelve months, and I think that few people have gotten engines (especially Mustang engines) that cheap from Greenleaf in the last year.

I'd also recommend doing business with them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Toombs said:

Mike

Try SHM.com or modularperformance.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts