TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was feeling a bit frisky at a stop sign and decided to mash the pedal to the floor. Long story short, nothing happened it just took off like normal only faster wouldn't even give me a chirp. I figured for a v8 it would at least spin the tires. Not that I want to waste a set of tires but was kinda disappointing lol. Are they all this slow un-modded? I don't plan on doing anything major except for maybe a better air filter setup and different exhaust as I can't complain about it's average of 23mpg in mixed city highway driving. I just like hearing the sound of a v8 instead of this muffled muted system on it now. I was telling a buddy of mine and he said sounds like the cat's are old and becoming restricted. I do notice my feet get a bit warm on a road trip but they also did in my old 3.8 I had and it had no cat's.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
They are slow in stock form.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
What year is your car? The non sport equipped 4.6's had 3.08 rear ends up till 1996, which got a 3.27 which gets it out of the hole a little faster. On my 97, it's not a neck breaker by any means, but if I put it in first and punch it she'll bark the tires easily.

How many miles on yours? It could be a little tired, in need of some basic maintenance, things like that. It takes lots of work to make them "fast" but they were never really intended to be fast, but a good comfortable, great handling cruiser. They can be fast, as many of the guys here can attest, but that would cost you the good overall mileage you get.

I doubt your catalytic converters are plugged based on your gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I had 3.27's in my 95 LX from the factory.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
LX. They did not make sports in 95

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 1997 LX with 128k on it. I'm not out to make it any faster as I got plenty of passing power, just sound better lol. I didn't even think of how it was geared, makes since.
I have to agree it rides great "now that I've replaced the inner tie rod and both upper control arms !" Now if I could just get the thing to run cooler in traffic !

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
First I would run some seafoam through the intake system.

Then I would do a complete tuneup including cleaning the MAF sensor, and replacing the fuel filter along with all the usual plug, wires, etc.

And finally after all that, reset the computer so it will relearn everything. It might run rough the first few miles as it takes a while to relearn.

Just those simple things will often provide a noticible improvement.

But just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
5,650 Posts
And finally after all that, reset the computer so it will relearn everything. It might run rough the first few miles as it takes a while to relearn.
I see this mentioned all the time, but the fact is that if it runs anything but perfect right from the start after a reset, something is still wrong. If it has to adapt, it is compensating for something.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I see this mentioned all the time, but the fact is that if it runs anything but perfect right from the start after a reset, something is still wrong. If it has to adapt, it is compensating for something.
agreed. I had a bad maf for a long time and after I learned it could be cleaned I cleaned it and it was like a brand new car. No rough running or anything. I hate false information.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm fairly certain the manual specifically indicates a learning time.

I don't have the manual in front of me though.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Don't expect alot from these cars in stock form. I could never spin the tires (just flooring it) on my 95 V8 with 3.08 when I bought it in 98 with 37k on it. I look at it as a good thing, they hook up pretty good.

My TransAm spins the tires and the rear end goes sideways on a 1-2 shift when you stand on it with a 2.75 rear end. Not good.:)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

It does have to relearn. But..... These cars nor does any other that I know of run rough till they do so.

·
5,650 Posts

Right, it does specify that. In fact, I think it says you may notice driveability issues until you drive for X miles. But this is the way of the manufacturer covering its ass. It's essentially stated for the same reason that the factory tune is so conservative to allow for the extremely large variation in maintenance across a vehicle platform. The adaptive learning has to be there to allow for different fuel blends, altitude compensation, etc, but most importantly for component degradation. After all, how popular would any car be among the general public if its maintenance costs were sky-high relative to its value because the vehicle's computer couldn't adapt. But the fact remains--if your vehicle runs rough or the computer does have to "learn" how to run the engine smoothly, then something is wrong and not up to factory specs. Of course this can't be said of a modded engine and tune, but for a stock vehicle it certainly is true.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Smaller Tires

Easiest way to get your car to bark tires from a dead stop is to put shorter tires. It's the poor person's way to get the car to act like it has lower gears (higher numerically) in the rear! May hurt your mileage and throw your speedometer off slightly.....

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Easiest way to get your car to bark tires from a dead stop is to put shorter tires. It's the poor person's way to get the car to act like it has lower gears (higher numerically) in the rear! May hurt your mileage and throw your speedometer off slightly.....
Not "may" it will. You want to bark the tires? Put a bigger stall in it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
i have never been able to spin the tires from a stop unless the wheel was turned or its wet, (thats with my mods now).. well when i had the stock cheap bald ass tires i could but ya know.. i would recommended doing the full tune up-clean injectors, clean MAF, change oil, etc

high stall will help you chirp the tires?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
high stall will help you chirp the tires?
Yes, because the high stall multiplies the torque (TORQUE converter) which is what is getting these heavy vehicles moving! Since power is a product of torque and RPM (both of which are higher), more power is going to the rear wheels. Vroom Vroom baby!

( It's late, I'm getting goofy ... :tongue: )

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Right, it does specify that. In fact, I think it says you may notice drivability issues until you drive for X miles. But this is the way of the manufacturer covering its ass. It's essentially stated for the same reason that the factory tune is so conservative to allow for the extremely large variation in maintenance across a vehicle platform. The adaptive learning has to be there to allow for different fuel blends, altitude compensation, etc, but most importantly for component degradation. After all, how popular would any car be among the general public if its maintenance costs were sky-high relative to its value because the vehicle's computer couldn't adapt. But the fact remains--if your vehicle runs rough or the computer does have to "learn" how to run the engine smoothly, then something is wrong and not up to factory specs. Of course this can't be said of a modded engine and tune, but for a stock vehicle it certainly is true.
I'll admit I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the initial relearning isn't the adaptive learning which adjusts for driving style and such. I'll agree with a 100% new engine you are correct. But with a car with 128K on it (like the OP’s) there will be variances in a lot of sensors and controls.

Things like “how much do I have to move the IAC to get a proper idle”. That will depend on how much gunk is in the passages. Or “how much do I have to move the EGR valve to get the proper flow”, which again will depend on how much gunk is in the passages.

All those things add up to rough running while it is trying to answer those questions.

I guess it boils down to if “within tolerance, but not perfect” is considered a stock vehicle. Is a vehicle with 128K miles on it the same as an engine with 1K miles on it? They are both “stock”, but definitely have different running parameters. My understanding is that the PCM will adjust until it meets its preprogrammed requirements, and if it can’t it will throw a code.

Or at least that is my understanding but again I’m not an expert!!!

And anyway, I said “It might run rough”, I didn’t say it definitely would, so kiss my fat hairy …. (j/k). :tongue: :D

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts