TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ever since i wrecked my bird ive been looking for another car really bad. I found this 94 lx for $500 and the craigslist posting says it smokes pretty bad. Other than that the car runs good. Im wondering if it can be something simple which i think it is. Dont have too many details other than the one provided. If it is something simple i could always part it out and use the money to buy another bird.

heres the craigslist ad: http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/1066356714.html

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
In the words of the great WESWING

your valve seals are bad. typical of the 4.6L motor. just keep oil in it and you'll be fine :)
Daily Driven also has this to say

A VERY normal issue on the earlier 4.6L's. The early models had faulty valve stem seals and will leak a little oil when your car is hot and idling for a while.

Mine were so bad sometimes that I would leave a cloud you couldn't see through. :mad:

The “official” repair would be to replace the valve stem seals. (Shouldn’t have to pull the cams, but the covers and followers, springs, etc. do have to get pulled. Not hard, but time consuming)

I started using the Valvoline MaxLife oil and it helped a lot. (I don’t normally recommend different oils but in this case I will). It took about 3 oil changes for it to dramatically decrease my smoking.
Also search is your friend

C.Hill

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There are a number of known issues with that year car and smoking, and many others that affect all cars.

Would need more information on the smoke and when it happens.

Valve seals in these cars usually show themselves after warmed up, sitting at an idle for a minute or two, than gunned (stopping at a red light, than taking off from red light).

Does the smoke smell like gas? a problem with the PCM and hanging open an injector causes lots of smoke (but usually people notice the smell of raw fuel and raw fuel coming out of the tail pipes).

Head gasket problem, PCV, worn out engine, there are many other causes for smoking.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have any more details other than the ones provided. Im hoping that if i buy this car i can fix it up and use it as my DD until i can get a better bird. Im in desperate need of a car to get back and forth to my new job and school so this is about my only option.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
allright got a little bit of an update..i talked to the guy some more and he says he thinks its a fuel problem, because it is sucking down fuel and its still smoking pretty bad. When he said it was smoking pretty bad and sucking down gas it reminded me of my 94 when the ECU went bad and was hanging an injector open causing it to run like crap and drink gas. Im hoping thats the problem i hope i can get this get a new ECU and get it to run right.

any other ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts