TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Explorer engine Im working on .. and I picked up a Mark 8 Oil pan + the pickup tube.

Today I went to install the Windage tray I picked up recently, and when I went to bolt the Mark Pickup tube on, the Mark pickup tube is a bigger diameter than the original Tbird tube.

So in order to use the Mark tube, does the Oil pump need to be upgraded ?? Or should I just stick with the stock Tbird pickup ? I dont have the 97/98 Mark tube, but I was going to pick one up .. but now that I see the earlier one wont fit without changing the Oil pump, im not really sure if I want to go that route.
The Mark tube also has a couple metal baffles on it, which is the only benefit I see to using it .. I dont think I would be taking advantage of the bigger size tube or if I even need it with my current setup.

Anybody have thoughts, ideas, or try to use the Mark tube on a setup similar to mine ??

Thanks

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
I have an 03 Explorer engine Im working on .. and I picked up a Mark 8 Oil pan + the pickup tube.

Today I went to install the Windage tray I picked up recently, and when I went to bolt the Mark Pickup tube on, the Mark pickup tube is a bigger diameter than the original Tbird tube.

So in order to use the Mark tube, does the Oil pump need to be upgraded ?? Or should I just stick with the stock Tbird pickup ? I dont have the 97/98 Mark tube, but I was going to pick one up .. but now that I see the earlier one wont fit without changing the Oil pump, im not really sure if I want to go that route.
The Mark tube also has a couple metal baffles on it, which is the only benefit I see to using it .. I dont think I would be taking advantage of the bigger size tube or if I even need it with my current setup.

Anybody have thoughts, ideas, or try to use the Mark tube on a setup similar to mine ??

Thanks
Use your stock pickup tube.To use the larger diameter tube-you'll need the HO oil pump from the '97-'98 Mark or a '96-'98 Cobra.
JL

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the baffles on the side of the tube make any difference ? The Tbird one doesnt have it, but the Mark and Explorer do. And at what what point would I need the HO pump on the engine ? Its stock for now, but I may supercharge it sometime next year.

·
3,232 Posts
Do the baffles on the side of the tube make any difference ? The Tbird one doesnt have it, but the Mark and Explorer do. And at what what point would I need the HO pump on the engine ? Its stock for now, but I may supercharge it sometime next year.
The "baffles" you're talking about are crank scrapers,and make no difference for what you're doing.If you're building a 2V,then there's absolutely no need for the HO pump.
JL

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just a heads up, the scrapers sometimes get in the way of the windage tray.

+1 for staying with the Non-HO pump.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think they are oil scrapers .. I think they are far enough away that its more of a baffle to keep oil from splashing .. which is going to be mostly shielded by the windage tray now. They dont interfere with eachother at all.

·
3,232 Posts
I dont think they are oil scrapers .. I think they are far enough away that its more of a baffle to keep oil from splashing .. which is going to be mostly shielded by the windage tray now. They dont interfere with eachother at all.
Why in the hell did you ask what they were if you have an opinion on what you think it is?
I know what they are-I don't make posts just to see the damned words on the monitor.It's a crank scraper-period.
JL

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just asking about the Pump and pickup tube combination and was wondering about the scrapers after looking at the different tubes. I pulled these out of a pile of parts Ive had laying around - the stock Tbird tube doesnt have them, so I wasnt sure as to their exact purpose since I didnt mock it up, I just compared the size of the inlet and saw that the Mark tube wont fit in my pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts