TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok did my motor swap to a 84k 4.6 in the ole cougar, everything went good and i drove it a little while and i noticed it was getting a little bit of a "studder" under a strain so i got a led out and started looking around, pushing on plug wires, ect.. i noticed the coolant chambers in the intake both front and back had started leaking a little bit and was drippling down into the plug wells, obviously liquid/spark not a good idea so i yanked all the wires and got hemostats and paper towels and soaked up the coolant, replaced the plugs, and swapped intakes for my old intake, figuring this would solve the problem.. Well.... it didnt, its still studdering when you give it gas and i have no idea what to check next.. im moving in 2 days and need this thing up and rolling.. Anyone got any ideas??? Thanks in advance!!
Zac

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Replace the intake manifold gasket and tighten the intake manifold gaskets to 18lbs. If you're reusing the same plug wires, be sure they are clean and add some di-electric grease to boots.

It could also be that you have coolant in the combustion chambers that hasn't burnt off if you had that much coolant in the spark plug tubes.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Maybe you still have an intake leak? Or maybe some more coolant made its way down into the spark plug wells while you were changing the intake? I would first look to see if you have coolant in the plug wells again. If you do, then you need to track down the leak. If not, then I would put plug wires on it, and if that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to get a little more in depth with compression testing, and swapping components around to try to track down what is causing the miss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input. i checked for a leak yesterday and couldnt find anything, gonna pull wires and dab to see if any coolant is in plug wells and meticulously search for a leak. i did just replace the gasket set when i swapped the intake and plugs. i will clean inside of plug wires and get some electric grease for boots. trying not to spend any more money on this thing i have 3500 in a 1000 car already lol.. thank you! i will check back in tonight.. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Replace the plug wires with a new Motorcraft set. That should fix you right up.

Might as well also throw a new set of factory plugs in there, unless they are new.

Al

·
Registered
440 Posts
When you replaced the spark plugs make sure it didn't crack. I had a stumble because of coolant in the spark plug well and I cleaned everything up and changed wires and plugs, I think I overtightened a plug and cracked it and I had no idea what the issue was for a solid week. I went back and checked the plugs, sure enough one was cracked hairline.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had some thing similar happen to me I had to change out the tps sensor on mine I still to this day don't know why it went but it runs better. with the new sensor on it. so I would swap that one out. it would chug like a locomotive and run horrible till I changed it. I also cleaned out the orifice where the egr hooks up to just to make sure it wasn't dirty on that end

1 - 10 of 10 Posts