TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the t-45 4.6 swap in my 94 LX. I have a 3.8 right now, and i heard I need to buy new exhaust manifolds for the new 4.6. Do I have to take them out of a 94/95 4.6 bird or 96/97 ?? Does it matter? The engine I found is out of a 98 mustang GT. So does that mean I have to take them from a mustang?
Thanx for all your help
Alex

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
The manifolds are the same as far as I know. I would get a 8.8 punkin.
I would sell you 3.8 bird and purchace a 4.6 bird it will be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Like blown96bird said it would probably be cheaper to sell your 3.8 bird and start with a 4.6 bird. You can find 94/95 4.6 birds with a blown eninge and/or tranny for fairly cheap.

You cant use mustang manifolds. You will need to find stock tbird 4.6 manifolds or get JBA's or Kooks. ($300-700)

You will also need springs for the suspension, either those out of a 4.6 tbird or aftermarket. You will need the EEC from the 4.6 bird and then that will have to programmed too. You will need all the wiring. The rear end. I think the V6 birds had a smaller one and you will need one out of V8 bird or a new FRPP unit. So if you start off with a V8 all the wiring will already be in place along with the computer. Many people upgrade there suspension anyway but if you dont want to now then the V8 bird already has one you can use for a while. Again the rear end people usually buy a FRPP unit with trac loc ($600 from dan newman with TCCoA membership) but if you arent gonna buy one right away the V8 tbird has one in there you can use and be just fine.

Either good luck,
-Shawn

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I really don't think it would be cheaper to sell my 3.8. The car only has 38,000 miles on it so it's in excellent shape. I have WAY to much money invested in it. I already have the computer programed for the t-45 4.6. I have the SC clutch stuff, and tranny/engine. So I guess I just need the manifolds and rear end? As for as the springs go, I'm on air bags. So I don't have springs at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts