TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 3.8 cougar with 180 K miles on it. I am thinking of swapping a 4.6 engine in. How much work is it? What exactly needs to be done?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
it's definitely a lot of work, since you'd need a 4.6 computer, and rewire the whole engine bay, as well as need to use a 4R70W transmission, since your transmission will not bolt up to a 4.6, nor would your stock computer be able to allow it to function

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If your going to do it then do it right.Buy a PI 4.6 or a Mark VIII DOHC 4.6.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the v6 trans and the v8 trans from the mark VIII were the same. Well if i were to use a mark VIII donor car it would come with all the parts to swap it in

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I thought the v6 trans and the v8 trans from the mark VIII were the same. Well if i were to use a mark VIII donor car it would come with all the parts to swap it in
v6 trans and all 4.6L transmissions are different. You will have a lot to swap over....do what the other guys say.

·
5,650 Posts
You don't have to rewire the whole engine bay, only the wiring that goes from the PCM through the firewall and along the right shock tower to the CCRM. The rest of the wiring is modular and will work. You will have to replace the following: PCM, wiring (as noted above), motor mounts, power steering lines & cooler, all A/C components except evaporator, radiator, heater hoses, tranny cooler lines, transmission, exhaust, fuel pump, fuel lines (from filter to engine), differential and half-shafts, cruise cable, throttle cable, and battery cables.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
yes, 94onAir

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
has anybody actually done it before?
:wavey: I stuck a 4.6L DOHC into a 90 XR7...then SC'd it...then built a SC'd 5.0L DOHC for it.

-Rod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts