TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my 94 4.6 bird is parked and my project car. Not a daily driver anymore but it is in running condition. It has 147,000 miles, and ive owned it for over 3 years.
When its cold at initial startup it idles nicely, however you must wait a few minutes for it to warm up before you can accelerate the engine. Dosent matter if youre in park or trying to drive down the road, it dosent like to accelerate at all. if you push the pedal any more than idle speed, it just bogs down. So slow that other drivers on the road get mad. Once it warms up the engine runs decently, however if you press the pedal to WOT it will bog down terribly. Its almost like mashing the brakes rather than mashing the gas. its been like this as long as ive owned it. Overall the car runs well. gets decent milage, about 17-20mpg.
Im certain its not the tranny, cause even if its running parked and you hit WOT it acts exactly the same. As well i changed the tranny fluid as recommended here to get rid of the "shudder" issue.
Heres a few tidbits for background. The CEL has been on since i've owned it. the only code it throws is O2 Sensors. Honestly, since the car continues to pass smog wonderfully i have been cheap and not replaced them.:rolleyes:
Tomorrow just for fun I'm going to clean the MAF, though i havent ever inspected it to see if its dirty.(note, im still running the stock airbox with the silencer removed).
The engine does emit some blue smoke on startup, and does comsume oil as i have to add at least a quart of oil between changes.

in your collective experiences, has anyone experienced anything similar from bad O2 sensors? Dirty MAF? Something else entirely?
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
during cold start warmup the ecu cannot use the 02s, 02s have to warm up to work properly and until they do the computer runs in open loop. Could be a plug issue or a poor MAF signal, Sounds like i might be running way too lean on a cold start. Check the plug type, MAF, and first of all run a diagnostic it can be a few things like a vaccum leak in the purge system since purge is used on cold start

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I could come look at it... pm me

·
SuperNewbie
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i did the plugs and wires when i bought it.It was the same before and after the plugs. Its really bad when its cold. however keep in mind that i live in Las Vegas. Its not cold like most of the rest of the US. so the cold idle issue only happens when its really cold. the WOT issue is always.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
let me just reiterate... I could go look at it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Also check the driver side temp sensor. It sets the mixture when engine's cold,
and is in charge untill you go closed loop with the O2 sensors. If the O2s are
disabled for some reason, this temp sensor would rule.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Totally fixed... end.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OMG you better keep up on that oil. My 94 sucked up 4 quarts in i think it was 2700 miles and i knew it was low and did some high throtle action and broke rod bearing so watch it. I have been told that some of the 94's like to suck up a lot of oil. i think mine was a bit excessive though...

·
SuperNewbie
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for coming over today guys!
Its really hard to believe that something sooo small could be an issue. My MAF was super dirty. We cleaned it and suddenly i have a totally different car. In my case its totally night and day difference. I actually smoked the tire fro the very first time ever the car had so much pep. I havent driven my bird really since may when i bought my Mustang. I really want to hurry up and finish getting my work done on the tbird and start driving it again. I still prefer driving the tbird over the mustang. anyone wanna buy a slightly used 04 mustang GT??

·
SuperNewbie
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tbirdkilla said:
OMG you better keep up on that oil. My 94 sucked up 4 quarts in i think it was 2700 miles and i knew it was low and did some high throtle action and broke rod bearing so watch it. I have been told that some of the 94's like to suck up a lot of oil. i think mine was a bit excessive though...
yeah, that is alot of oil consumption!! dotn worry, i dont even drive the car right now. But clearly oil is important.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
speaking of oil consumption or leaks...., start that thing daily and check the levels, that should make that seal bounce back gordo

·
SuperNewbie
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris_Murder said:
speaking of oil consumption or leaks...., start that thing daily and check the levels, that should make that seal bounce back gordo
yeah i suppose that will work. Need to just start driving it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.