TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm going head gestkets on 94 4.6 L tbird. Any way reading the manual about the setting the the timing there is mention about a bright link on the timing chain. My chains have no bright links. My question is can the timing still be set without knowing which link is the bright one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
In my experience with the timing chains on a 4.6, the "bright" link is actually darker, but not by much... look VERY closely, and find one that looks lime it is a little darker. when you find it, if you then put that link at the end of the chain, you will find the other link at the opposite end.

Or you could "make" your own " bright" links:

·
Registered
364 Posts
someones got something up ones ***...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
chill. as long as you use 2 links at opposite ends youll be fine. mark em and go.

·
Registered
364 Posts
IF you could read and decipher text it looks like he was giving some information and also looked like he wasn't 100% sure. If you had to be 100% sure of everything posted it would be a pretty god damn lame BBS.

If someone would have taken what he said as totally accurate you shouldn't be taking apart a engine.

so RELAX!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yea whatever...

It is that attitude...Oh it's ok let him be that is the problem...

SkunkWorks said:
IF you could read and decipher text it looks like he was giving some information and also looked like he wasn't 100% sure. If you had to be 100% sure of everything posted it would be a pretty god damn lame BBS.

If someone would have taken what he said as totally accurate you shouldn't be taking apart a engine.

so RELAX!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow such anger on the boards i know timing is a b***h but chill out Heavy metal, the man was just trying to help plus his method is sound so i really don't know what the problem is. My suggestion is too put a mark on the timing chains before you take them off if you haven't already. Make sure you put one on the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket and obviouly on the chains themselves.

Will

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
mechman1984 said:
Wow such anger on the boards i know timing is a b***h but chill out Heavy metal, the man was just trying to help plus his method is sound so i really don't know what the problem is. My suggestion is too put a mark on the timing chains before you take them off if you haven't already. Make sure you put one on the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket and obviouly on the chains themselves.

Will
I know from personal experience that does not work. I tried that when I took the heads off my exploder moter to clean it up, and when I put it together, I had PTV. Basic rule of thumb: If you take the chains off, use the timing marks. The timing on the 4.6, when you align all the marks, is actually quite easy, IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts